Author Topic: Intake Oop's  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Detector

Intake Oop's
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:21:24 AM »
Well I had my motor installed last week and picked up my car Sunday. The car sounded good but I now have a oversight dilemma. The motor that came out of the 74 Firebird and an Edellbrock aluminum manifold and carb but now my shaker won't fit. Seems the manifold is quite a bit taller than the stock one.

My question is how hard is it to put the stock intake manifold on? I mean for a shade-tree mechanic like myself? I'm thinking I should also rebuild the old original Quadrajet and use it as well. Any comments, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
Re: Intake Oop's
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:07:41 AM »
The original intakes aren't that hard to do.  Its basically unbolt the old one, clean up the surfaces, intstall new gaskets, put the intake back on, install bolts and tighten in the proper order to the proper torque.  You will want to get a service manual if you don't have one to get the good step by step directions but thats the nuts and bolts of it.  If you are competant with the wrenches you should have no trouble.
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:45:52 PM »
Brian has the right of it, pretty easy to do.
Rich

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:38:50 PM »
Just be careful when scraping the mounting surfaces on the heads.  Put rags in the intake ports on the heads to keep junk from falling into them.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350