Author Topic: 78 Trans Am Weight  (Read 16835 times)

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
Re: 78 Trans Am Weight
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 07:37:10 PM »
dont the door stickers advertise like 4200 or something?

Many people don't realize that the GVWR number on the door sticker is NOT the weight of the car. GVWR stands for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. It's the GM recommended maximum amount of weight the car can carry, including the weight of the car plus a load of passengers and cargo and fuel, etc.
The GVWR is the sum of the other 2 numbers on the sticker, which are the GAWR, meaning the Gross Axle Weight Rating. Those are the GM recommended maximum weights that each axle can safely be loaded, and added together, amount to the GVWR. For example, your car may only weigh about 3600 lbs, but could carry up to about 1000 lbs. in added load.
My 79 hardtop TA has a GVWR of 4652 lbs.
My 79 T-top TA has a GVWR of 4665 lbs. Assuming both cars were rated as being able to carry the same amount of weight, the difference in the GVWR weight would be in the weight of the cars themselves. This shows that a t-top is heavier, since both these cars have the same equipment, except that my t-top car lacks the p.w. that the hardtop has. Also the hardtop has decor trim moldings that the t-top doesn't. If the t-top had p.w. and the decor trims, it would probably be another 25 lbs. heavier, making the t-top car weigh about 38 pounds more than the hardtop, in my guess-timation.
Steve F.