Author Topic: Trimming Sail Panels?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Tochs99

Trimming Sail Panels?
« on: October 23, 2016, 11:11:09 PM »
New guy here, does anyone make a sail panel made to fit a fisher t top?  I recently purchased a 78 t top and none of the trim fits well. There's tabs sticking out preventing everything from fitting together flush. I saw a video from Fbidywarehouse showing the sail panel being trimmed but that seems odd to me.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Trimming Sail Panels?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 11:51:25 PM »
There is indeed a difference between the sail panels for hardtop vs t-top cars...trimming works if you do not have the correct panels.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Tochs99

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
With that being said, do you know any distributers of the t top version?  I haven't been able to find any.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »
No, have not seen any and many were trimmed when fitted with t-tops so the process continues with new parts.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 04:59:22 PM »
There was no t-top specific sail panel. The factory trimmed the hardtop panel for use in t-tops. I have an original 79 t-top, Fisher tops of course, and the original sail panels on it had been crudely trimmed by the factory.
It doesn't show when the other trims are installed. 
Steve F.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 05:29:09 PM »
I can confirm what Grand73am said, I had 3 sets of sail panels over the years, one that was in my car originally (a fisher t top car), another from a confirmed fisher t top car and one from a hard top. It appeared as if the factory used some sort of indrustrial sized toe nail clipper or something, they had clean but not precise cuts. Anything you do will look better than factory and as Grand73am said that tab is covered by the t top trim anyway.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
Good to get another confirmation about them from Angelo.

And to further document the fact, I looked up the sail panels in the GM Pontiac parts catalog, and there is only one right sail panel and one left sail panel listed. There are no others listed separately and specifically designated for use with t-tops.
Steve F.