Author Topic: turbo rims, tires and dash  (Read 879 times)

Offline 461 stroker transam

turbo rims, tires and dash
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:39:22 PM »
couple more questions as the rebuild comes along...
tires -- it will be a while before i need them, but does anyone have a good idea about good performance tires for 15 inch wheels? i would really like something better than BFG's, but there doesn't seem to be much left for the 15 inch rims. i was checking out a shelby cobra site, and some of them prefer to run mickey thompson sportsman STs. i can get them from summit racing for about the same price as the BFGs. anyone know anything about these? anyone ever run them? i don't want street-slicks. i'm hoping for speed rated radials with good handling and that will hook a little.

wheels -- again, i want to keep my turbo rims, but cant find good tires. so it might sound sacrilegious, but are there any wheel makers that can make a 16 or 18 inch turbo wheel? or would this cost a mint, as i suspect? anyone ever looked into this? i could always get some cragers or other aftermarkets in any size, but i REALLY wanna keep the turbo rims.

dash-- still can't find a good dash for an '80 T/A. anyone know who might have a repro in stock? they are in all the catalogs for about $450, but whoever i call has been out for over a year with no idea when they will get more. can have mine refurbished for $1,400 !!  but that's a bit out of my price range... by a lot.

i appreciate any help.

Offline Jeromey

Re: turbo rims, tires and dash
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:09:37 PM »
I'm in the same boat with the dash...I really don't want to go with the cap >:(.  Furthermore, I get a bit skeptical when those that do have one pop up!  I fear it's one of those disaster fit jobs someone is trying to off load. 

Someone has to have the correct tooling for these pads and able to produce a consistent finnished product?  I mean common..they did it 37 years ago. ::)

Offline 461 stroker transam

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »
From what I understand, they tool up and make a batch every few years. It's been at least two since the last. No one seems to know when to expect any more. And I have no clue who exactly "they" are...

Offline Jeromey

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:37:08 PM »
so funny!

Like it's some kinda Cartel >:D