Author Topic: Body Side Molding  (Read 2383 times)

Offline bentwheelbob

Body Side Molding
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »
So I have just purchased a 1978 Y88 with options W72, WS6 and M21.  It's a pretty cool 53K mile original paint car.  Here's a link to my thread on the PY Forum -

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755425

It did not come from the factory with body side molding, but at some point it was added using the screw on channel variety of molding with black rubber.  I have purchased the stick on molding with color keyed tan rubber from Brett, but now I have a few questions.

1) How were the ends cut where the door and fender pieces meet?  Was it a 90 degree cut or a bevel cut?

2) What is the approximate length of the front fender section and the rear fender section.

3) What is the approximate length of the door section?

4) Does the 1978 assembly manual show these dimensions?

I appreciate any help that can be provided.  If someone has an original paint car with factory applied stick on molding I would really appreciate some pictures and dimensions.

Thanks.  I look forward to being in the 78TA family.

Bob

Offline bentwheelbob

Re: Body Side Molding
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »
So I got the information I was looking for on the PY forum.  Below is a copy of that post along with a crude drawing.

" My factory original side molding is spaced back from the panel edge 1/2 inch. The front piece is 16 3/4 inch long. The front end is cut and pinched to a point. The back end is cut square. The door piece is 55 3/4 inch long. Cut at a bevel on the front end, square on the back end.
The back piece is 6 1/4 inch long, the front end is square, the back end is cut at an angle tapered toward the top."

"1) On the rear piece, is the 6-3/4" measured to the long point or short side?
2) On the door piece, is yours about 1/2" from the gap on each end, or are the fender pieces spaced 1/2" away and the door piece closer than that to the gap?
3) The bevel cut end of the door piece, does that look like the cut was made at 90 degrees and then just the rubber inset strip is beveled back? "

"Ollie - see if this crude drawing accurately reflects the dimensions and cuts you provided. Also, a couple of questions.

1) On the rear piece, is the 6-3/4" measured to the long point or short side?
2) On the door piece, is yours about 1/2" from the gap on each end, or are the fender pieces spaced 1/2" away and the door piece closer than that to the gap?
3) The bevel cut end of the door piece, does that look like the cut was made at 90 degrees and then just the rubber inset strip is bevel cut."

"Yes, the drawing is quite accurate.
(1) A more accurate measurement of the rear piece is 6 3/8 inch on top and 6 inch even on the bottom.

(2) The gap between each section is 1/2 inch back from the edge of the panel.

(3) Yes, The bevel cut end of the door piece, does look like the cut was made at 90 degrees and then just the rubber inset strip is beveled back."

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:29:42 AM »
awesome info;. Thanks for sharing

Offline gearhead68

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 10:06:46 AM »
Is the molding installed above, below or directly on the body line crease?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 11:00:39 AM »
Above the crease which runs along the base of strip.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:55:05 AM »

Offline gearhead68

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
Thank you very much.