Author Topic: Backup Light Not Working  (Read 2366 times)

Offline rbolte10

Backup Light Not Working
« on: October 12, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »
I have a 76 455 4 speed that I just purchased.  So the person put headers on it and got rid of the linage rod for the reverse lights.  Long story short if anyone could get me pointed in the right direction of putting a switch in and how, that would be great.  And also what is weird is that one reverse light is on the whole time but I am guessing that is just a wrong connection somewhere.  Any help would be great!!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Backup Light Not Working
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:37:16 PM »
Very common issue, the headers will have to go or the linkage modified, once you found one.

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=37094.0

Offline rbolte10

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 01:54:02 PM »
Are there any other options?  Is there a way to just wire up a switch to take the place of the linkage?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 04:34:55 PM »
Easy on an auto, not so much on a manual. Luckily there's a lot on this topic already.

Offline TA78

• Pioneer Valley Firebird Association
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
I did this when I was running headers. I got a small trigger/pressure switch the type with an arm  made a bracket for it, mounted it on the trans hump between the lower dust boot and the upper dust boot. adjusted it so when the trans is put into reverse the shifter lever depressed/activated the switch.  Wire this switch into the reverse light switch harness(unplug from factory switch) on the steering column. takes a few adjustments to get the new switch right so it only works with reverse and not 1st gear.

Offline johnnytrans am

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 10:07:11 AM »
I have Doug's Header's and my orig set up work's fine