Author Topic: What do you do for a living?  (Read 44624 times)

Offline francis79

Re: What do you do for a living?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 05:24:03 AM »
also a red seal carpenter and member of UBC . worked industrial in alberta and ontario for many years until my little fellow was born [ now 4 ]  . now i am self employed building homes and doing renos in cape breton . we always have high unemployment here [20 %] that makes business tough but its a great place to live.

where do you live?

i live in sydney

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 12:18:56 PM »
Rick (Rainman) , I sympathize with and for you in your job... your in temps I never knew possible. YOU THE MAN!!! 

Ya it has its bad days alright . Because we are a internet provider and soon to be phone provider here ,we have to go out whenever the phone rings . I hate on call somedays . It can be 20 below ,and we may get a call at one in the morning to go up Mt Baker on snowmobiles ,or worse yet ,one of the other tougher mountain tops .
My Mom told me to stay in school ,and I never listened ,so I guess it's pretty much my fault lol

Offline UJSLOST

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 12:46:59 PM »
Rainman I feel your pain!    Maybe you seen my first post that I work for the cable company too. We have had phone for a few years now. Which puts us in a utilites company category. Which like you said. When services go down we go out and repair, no matter what. When we were cable only we could wait till we could get to it. Now if there are 2 house's on the same street or node that are without phone service it is considered an "outage" now. I guess you get to deal with the ice on the lines. Where we deal with the heat and the stretching of the lines when they get hot which pulls pins out of the LE, Node, etc...

Cool to see another "wood walker" on here.   For you that dont know the term thats us guys that climb poles!!!
1979 Trans Am 301/350 w/ 2.73 posi  Silver on Red
1997 Mustang Gt Convertible Triple Black w/ 4.10s

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »
I'm a home maker. Or as turbota400 puts it, domestic engineer. That still makes me chuckle. :D

My husband is a diesel mechanic for an underground gold mine. The shop he works in is 1,700 ft underground. I can't remember the depth of the mine at the moment but it's much deeper than the shop. He actually doesn't work on the equipment anymore since he took a leadman position a few weeks ago.
Johnathan also has his own machine shop that is more of his hobby. It's a good backup if the mines ever close their doors.
The small things aren't worth getting
angry about, my daughter taught me that.
R.I.P. Sierra Louise May 1, 2005 - July 21, 2005

Offline firebird79_00

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 01:42:54 PM »

My Mom told me to stay in school ,and I never listened ,so I guess it's pretty much my fault lol
[/quote]

doesnt look like your doing too bad for yourself with that beauty.
1977 Firebird Clone
6.6L.....soon

Offline bilsnhoj

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 10:13:25 PM »
Retired auto worker, GM Oshawa. Now school bus driver, who hoo!!
Love my T/A :)

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 10:33:18 PM »
I'm self employed a few times over.  I run a bizz selling/installing aftermarket items in cars for dealerships, also a 3rd generation real estate salesman for my dad, and also insurance sales.  I seem to keep busy with all of them.  Luckily they don't all seem to "hit" at the same time.
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 10:33:49 PM »

doesnt look like your doing too bad for yourself with that beauty.
[/quote]

I know, that's what I keep thinking to myself....
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline rhino33

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2009, 11:06:52 PM »
Rainman I think your job rocks ;D

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
IM A HOTLINE SERVICE ENGINEER FOR FORD MOTOR COMPANY. DEALERSHIP TECHNICIANS CALL US WHEN THEY HAVE A PROBLEM CHILD THEY CANT SEEM TO GET FIXED.
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline UJSLOST

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 11:35:17 PM »
IM A HOTLINE SERVICE ENGINEER FOR FORD MOTOR COMPANY. DEALERSHIP TECHNICIANS CALL US WHEN THEY HAVE A PROBLEM CHILD THEY CANT SEEM TO GET FIXED.

LOL, good chance I've talked to ya before then! Well probably not. But I know exactly what job you have. I called the service engineer a time or two. Mainly when the 5.4 3v trucks were having issues with the cam phasers. I used to work at Gilbert & Baker Ford in Albertville, AL til a little over a year ago.
1979 Trans Am 301/350 w/ 2.73 posi  Silver on Red
1997 Mustang Gt Convertible Triple Black w/ 4.10s

Offline gonnatell

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 02:00:49 AM »
I work at Oreillys Auto Parts while going to school. I worked at AutoZone before but i got tired of the 12 hour days and having to wake up for school the next day. Oreillys is much better with the exception that i dont get saturdays off.
Wee!

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 08:03:28 AM »

How's come when you guys demand that ANYTHING aftermarket installed needs to be removed prior to any diagnostics to your vehicles?
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »
We have to be sure the aftermarket component or the way it was installed is not effecting the way the system operates or causing the problem. Most of the calls I get are electrical related. With all the MODULES used these days a miswired add on could screw up alot of stuff. Thats why I love working on my T/A so much......NO MODULES!!!  I'll bet you though we did that just to be jerks.......LOL!

Ive been there a little over 6 years and did the same thing at GM for 5 years prior to that.
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 11:50:03 AM »
Yeah I'm sure there's times where especially the install of the said product causes an issue.  It's just that the way some of the techs go about it is all wrong.  Here's one that sticks in my mind....Customer was referred to me by the dealer they bought their new Explorer and Escape from to install remote starters(I know you techs just love the remote starters huh).  As I started in on the explorer the customers stated that when it was real cold out, the next time the vehicle was started all of the heater controls would be shut off even the when they parked it they were on (automatic climate controlled).  He asked if that was normal.  I said it doesn't sound like it but I wasn't sure.  I explained to him we should wait until he has the dealer look at it.  He didn't want to and said go ahead and install the remote starter.  2 weeks later I get a call from the dealer stating they can't even hook their computer to the vehicle unless the remote starter is removed.  I explained that they could simply unplug the brain of the unit and they'd be good to go.  The service tech said Ford won't allow that.  Said there'd still be a draw on the system and they wouldn't honor the warranty of the vehicle.  By this time I was freaking out.  Obviously whom ever was involved on Ford's side didn't understand the laws of physics.  To protect the customer's side of things I stated that under Federal law they couldn't make the car's warranty conditional because of the remote starter unless they provided their own remote starter free of charge.  I about dropped a load then when they said they were going to do just that and give the customer a "Ford" remote starter.

Too bad it didn't end nice and fuzzy.  The customer was a doctor at a big hospital and needed extreme range with the remote starter.  The "Ford" product is actually a very cheap line of CodeAlarm.  After they installed the "Ford" unit, he didn't have 1/2 the range as he did before.

The best thing out of it all was that the problem was still there even after the removal of my system which I obviously knew it would be since it did it before I worked on it.  Ended up being a bad climate control unit.  I also had told the dealer this before anyways stating that I thought there was a bad solder joint probably in the climate control unit.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:52:53 AM by ponchonutty »
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1980 Indy Pace TA