Author Topic: Need help to verify if a restore was done...  (Read 2127 times)

Offline FrankieT

Need help to verify if a restore was done...
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
Good morning Hitman & fellow T\A enthusiasts,      I am in the mArket to purchase a 79 10th Anniversary, and have found one, but although the seller states its all "original"  I see some issues that I hope the Hitman can confirm or deny. I have attached some photos, in the engine compartment I see a painted oil fill spout, which I think usually is plain metal, and I see a painted thermostat housing, which I believe also should be plain metal. On the Valve covers & see chrome pipes to the air breather which usually isn`t stock.  In the other photos of the under carriage I see no Catalytic converter....does this undercarriage look original? What do you surmise?  THis guy is asking top dollar, and states it has only 17k miles on it.   I so appreciate your help, as I don't want to be hoodwinked....Again Ty,   Frank

Offline another10th

Re: Need help to verify if a restore was done...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »
FrankieT,
Only the third picture (undercarriage) was large enough for me to see. But I see that that the catalytic converter, "y" pipe, head pipe and crossover pipe have been removed to install tubular headers (which, of course, are not stock). The oil fill pipe is normally bare metal, but the thermostat housing is painted. If you repost the other pictures in a larger size, I'll be happy to take a look.
Attached is the stock exhaust for a 403 10th Anniversary.
79 TATA
02 CETA

Offline FrankieT

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
Thank you very much for that great info, I will post pics again, i hope you can click on them to enlarge, or zoom using windows picture program...  Ty, Frank

Offline FrankieT

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »
Here is another pic

Offline FrankieT

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »
And another pic..

Offline FrankieT

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
Cant up load pics larger...sorry, but thank you!

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 01:48:10 PM »
Subframe bushings don't look right. There should be a fat bushing between the floor and the sub frame and a thinner one inside the frame. Looks to me like both are inside the frame. If all of the front end sheet metal was aligned without the sub frame bushings installed properly then to make it "correct" you might need to put all the bushings in correctly then realign the all of the sheet metal, bumper etc. in order to get all the gaps correct.  I'll guess without seeing the car that the shaker scoop is sitting high and pressed up against the hood, the cooling fan isn't centered in the fan shroud and the front inner fenders are rubbing on the frame. Be very cautious if the seller is claiming originality.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »
The pics are so small, is it a 403 car, if so pass. 
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches