Author Topic: "The 14 Car" gets a makeover  (Read 11710 times)

Offline NOT A TA

Re: "The 14 Car" gets a makeover
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »
aha, silver state classic here we come

That's my plan! I'll go to Texas to get through the entry level max speed classes and meanwhile build the engine I want so I can run unlimited at a Silver State race. I hope to eventually make a trip west where I can hit speed week at the salt flats and a Silver State race.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »
dude, you are going to be able to write a book about you and your car.....thats awsome

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 11:57:52 AM »
I've been stripping the underside to bare metal and shooting it with some PPG epoxy primer. Found a small area under the pass rear seat with a little bit of rust so I'll do some metal work there and get primer on it.

John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
looking good...

Offline Driver79

• 1985 Trans Am 5.0L
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 11:18:13 PM »
Nice progress

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »
original owner of that esprit would be surprised at what it turned into
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »
I keep saying I am going to come up there and meet you, but I haven't yet. Hopefully one day I can see your beast in person.

~Trans ams rule....others drool~

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 12:07:11 AM »
I keep saying I am going to come up there and meet you, but I haven't yet. Hopefully one day I can see your beast in person.

Just let me know when you have some time!
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 09:04:17 PM »
Will do...for sure. Do you ever go to cars and caffeine in boyton?

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 12:12:30 AM »
Never been. I went to a few local cruise nights around the area several years ago and they weren't very good at all.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »
its good.  i have been twice. its not that big, but its cool to grab a coffee and hang out wirh some car guys for a hour or two

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 10:27:42 PM »
Your car is awesome......  Silver state would be cool...

Another event this car would be awesome for is the Big Bend Open Road Race (BBORR).  They close a remote hwy down between two towns in West TX....  60+ miles of "hammer down".  I've volunteered as a gat guard a time or two.... LUV to see your (not a) TA blast by!!!

http://www.bborr.com/
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »
Your car is awesome......  Silver state would be cool...

Another event this car would be awesome for is the Big Bend Open Road Race (BBORR).  They close a remote hwy down between two towns in West TX....  60+ miles of "hammer down".  I've volunteered as a gat guard a time or two.... LUV to see your (not a) TA blast by!!!

http://www.bborr.com/

I'll probably attend the Big Bend race for my first open road race and run in the entry level class. I think it's the touring class at 110 MPH or somewhere thereabouts.

Anyway I've been working on it. Painted the underside, smoothed the passenger side of the cowl, did the Adams Mod, and installed spherical bushings in the rear spring front eyes. Currently working on drivers door sides and door jamb.

John Paige

Dear Not A TA,

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:52 PM »
did the Adams Mod

curious to see if this mod makes a difference(you would know). I understand the theory, but that ½" doesnt seem like much.
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »

curious to see if this mod makes a difference(you would know). I understand the theory, but that ½" doesnt seem like much.

I too wondered if it really makes a difference with modern lowering springs and other suspension improvements I've done. I talked to Harry Quackenboss who was Herb Adams chassis engineer back in the SCCA days when they came up with the mod. He said that the modification still makes sense. I will be hard to tell if it does anything because I'm making so many changes to the car's setup at the same time. If I pulled the pockets and made the mod with no other changes I might (?) be able to tell a difference. But with the mod combined with spherical bushings, larger diameter wheels, narrower tires, less weight, and a lot of aerodynamic changes the effect of the Adams Mod will get lost.

I did get the pockets painted and the gas tank which will also function as the roof of the diffuser if my plans work out.

John Paige

Dear Not A TA,