Author Topic: 1977 Trans am floor replacement  (Read 4923 times)

Offline dabatman99

1977 Trans am floor replacement
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:49:39 AM »
Just the front driver floor is bad and the toe panel.  I see on ebay they have full replacements from front to back for 115.00.  Is it any more difficult to replace the whole side vs. replacing just the front?  I'd rather replace the whole floor myself, but don't want to get myself into a predicament.  Thanks

Offline rhino33

Re: 1977 Trans am floor replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »
not sure where you would get a repro toe panel?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:41:11 PM »
Just the front driver floor is bad and the toe panel.  I see on ebay they have full replacements from front to back for 115.00.  Is it any more difficult to replace the whole side vs. replacing just the front?  I'd rather replace the whole floor myself, but don't want to get myself into a predicament.  Thanks

It's more work, yes. I would recommend just replacing what is necessary...less measuring/cutting/welding/finishing ;)

not sure where you would get a repro toe panel?

The toe area isn't repro'd so you'll have to fabricate a patch or get it from a donor car.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline dabatman99

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »
I may just patch the toe board and find a replacement floor pan.  I'd like to then lay fiberglass all over the whole toe board and floor pan then coat it with truck bed liner.  Anybody object to this or have any better ideas?  I had a bad floor in my Jetta and this is what I did to it, and it's really solid and I don't have to worry so much about water seepage through the carpet and rotting the floor out. 

One more thing. It appears just the front floor pan is bad, the back seems pretty good shape.  Would you replace the whole floor anyways or just what needs to be replaced?  It's not much more money to get the whole floor, but like someone said...less cutting and welding is easier...

Offline BusDriver

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »
If you replace & patch up the metal, the 'glass is overkill. Just coat it in a good solid epoxy and go from there. Sound deadner, undercoat, whatever..

As to how much, if the back part is solid, leave it. less work. I'd strip it clean and re-coat it in whatever you use to seal up the floor however. Then you KNOW it's solid through and through.

Offline dabatman99

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 11:55:08 AM »
What kind of epoxy to you recommend?  I'd like to apply a coat of that spray in truck bed liner stuff you buy at walmart for like 8 bucks a can. 

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »
3m brushable seam sealer is what I used on mine.
I even used it on the seams in my trunk even though I didnt do any work in here just because the factory seam sealer had dried out.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 02:20:20 PM by Eagle 1 »
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:03:06 PM »
What kind of epoxy to you recommend?  I'd like to apply a coat of that spray in truck bed liner stuff you buy at walmart for like 8 bucks a can. 

I agree with BusDriver. Use some PPG DP90LF(black) or DP74LF(red oxide) epoxy primer, whichever color you want it, over your floors. It's a 2 part primer, so you have to use some DP402LF catalyst too. You get these materials at a PPG auto paint supply store. Mix and spray with a spray gun...preferably a primer gun. 

First though, if the new pans don't come already painted, wipe them down with some lacquer thinner to clean them. Usually, if they're bare metal, they'd have some oil on them for protection, that you need to remove with the thinner. Then sand the metal with some 80 grit. Spray the bottom side only of the new pans with the epoxy. Let dry. If they come painted already, you won't have to do that step. Then weld in your new pans. Grind down your welds to how you want them. Clean up the rest of your floor, by sanding and wirebrushing to get it as close to clean metal as you can. Wipe them down with some lacquer thinner for a final cleaning. Then spray the entire top side of floor with the epoxy primer. Once dry, spread some seam sealer(from the auto paint store), like Eagle 1 is showing, over your welded seams. You could leave it that way or spray some enamel or urethane paint over the floor for added protection. Then get some floor heat and sound insulation..the kind that you lay on top of the floor, and lay it in. Then your carpet goes over that.

I don't recommend using bed-liner.
Steve F.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:01:16 PM »
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:02:43 PM »
holly crap how do i make the pic smaller?
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »
Here ya' go...

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am