Author Topic: My 1978 Trans Am Restoration. (So far)  (Read 10710 times)

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
Re: My 1978 Trans Am Restoration. (So far)
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »
Ok now you have me at the build sheet.L.O.L. If you have a copy of your build sheet post it.

Offline BANONECHOP

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 11:19:03 PM »
It is posted on the tech area .. here is the link.
http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=18156.msg189037#msg189037

Ok now you have me at the build sheet.L.O.L. If you have a copy of your build sheet post it.
Go Bandit GO!!!!

Offline whtebandit

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 11:19:37 PM »
Some photos of my Whitebandit

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 11:32:04 PM »
Nice even more Canucks floating around!!!

I'm in Sudbury

BTW. I love the photo's. Keep em coming because it makes me jealous which give me incentive to work on my heap

Charlie
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline whtebandit

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 11:33:08 PM »
Hey how are you !!! smal world indeed. !
Well I dont know if you took a good look at the Build sheet but it does say y88 in the listing but I really dont know.... yes there are a few clues yes.... I took some of the gauge rings out this weekend and noticed the gold bezel had faded from a gold to the silverish color.... the t-tops have a gold tint to them..... and most of the decals are in gold, including the wheels. I also noticed that the steering column was gold where all the others are black.....

I am not sure although I hope joining this site I will gain some info.

Chris
Hi Chris

It is a small world - I was just prowling the 78TA site for pictures and saw the post for your 78TA  and thought   -  that engine bay looks just like the TA I saw Saturday night!    Then as read the post I figured out it was you that I was talking to  on Saturday.

The car looks great both in the photos and in person.

The check you build sheet for the Y88 code - As recall the sheet showed paint code of 50.  Check some of the other sites for information on the Y88 cars - http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/bandit/bandithistory2.htm.  I dont recall the production date that was on the build sheet you have.  Also you said you have the orginal bill of sake for the car - check that for the SE option.  There are a lot of clues that make me thing yours is a Y88 car.

After all is said and done it is your car,if you like a black TA then  leave it black.  

If it will add something special to the car for you by having it Solar Gold and knowing that you have a very rare TA then it may be time to repaint.  

The car is your car to enjoy as you like it.

Chris  Have you contacted GM Canada historic services for the information package they can produce on the car.  This one advantage we have in Canada that the records from GM Canada are a lot more reliable and also available from GM.  I hope this service has survived the last few months - hear is a link for it - at least it is still on the web site.  http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/shopping/parts/vintage

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 11:40:27 PM »
Oh and BTW what ever info you are looking for will be found for you here sooner or later. People are always willing to help answee your questions and I have yet to come across the rude and ignorant that have kept me away from other sites.

Great bunch around here

Charlie
Charlie

Offline BANONECHOP

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »
Thanks Dave.
So I can request a package on my vehicle and they will send it to me?

Oh and BTW what ever info you are looking for will be found for you here sooner or later. People are always willing to help answee your questions and I have yet to come across the rude and ignorant that have kept me away from other sites.

Great bunch around here

Charlie
Go Bandit GO!!!!

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 12:08:29 AM »
phs docs are $65.00 and well wourth the money. your build sheethas your vin # on it thats proof enough its a y88. Not all y88 say it on the cowl tags.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 12:10:54 AM »
Thanks Dave.

Great bunch around here

Charlie

The people on this website are probably the most knowledgable so anytime you have a question you can resarch it here and if you can't find the answer from a previously posted topic then you can post your topic question like you already did with this thread. Those that know an answer will respond or send you to the answer.

This website is like the Dali Lamma of websites for T/A's and more specifically 2nd gen T/A's

Charlie
Charlie

Offline whtebandit

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 12:19:51 AM »
Thanks Dave.

Great bunch around here

Charlie

Yes you can get a package showing the original selling dealer - confirming all option codes on the car and a technical information on the car - similar to the PHS.  Also one neat item it will tell you the number of cars matching your imported into Canada.

Offline BANONECHOP

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
Thanks Hammer,

Now to find out why my dash kick panels and glove box have the vents for a/c when my car didnt come with it.... and why my bezel isnt GOLD and where to find one.

BANONECHOP,

You have a Y88, if your build sheet matches your vin number.  There is no question about it.  The steering wheel, bezel with gold, Gold tinted t-tops, 50L 50U Solar Gold Paint code, and build sheet denoting Y88.  The build sheet for your car, as long as it matches your VIN number is BETTER than the PHS documents.  It has a breakdown of everything that was put into your car.  Incidentally, your car was built in Van Nay's California.  The California cars didn't get the Y88 code on there cowl tags...the Norwood Plant did put them on the cowl tags most of the time.  But we are unsure if ALL of them got the Y88's insignia on cowl tags (we have no proof of one that didn't to date) from the Norwood built cars.

I think you should enjoy your car now.  And the next time you paint it you can always go back to painting it the original Solar Gold color.  However, Y88 cars are rare and it would be in your best interest to change the color back to the original solar gold if you ever plan to sell it.  It would increase the cars value. If you don't plan to sell it have fun with it until the car needs repainted.    JMHO

But congratulations on owning a Y88.  And if the build sheet matches your VIN Number on your car you don't really need the PHS documents.  The proof is in the Build sheet and buildsheets are far better than the PHS documents.  However, if you want to have a reproduction of your window sticker you will have to get the PHS and for a little extra you can get a reproduction window sticker.   
Go Bandit GO!!!!

Offline Anderson0741

• Adv. Member
  • 1979Trans Am 4 Speed
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 01:58:45 AM »
Sometimes the gold on the dash bezel fades off, and turns silver. Or someone didn't like gold, and changed it to silver. If you take it out and look on the edges it should have non faded sections, if that's still gold then it wasn't changed out.

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
Here's a link to get that gold dash back ...
http://www.78ta.com/dashbezel.php
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline rad400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »
Sweet ride
Conrad
79 Trans am 400 t400 3500 stall #12 heads holley 750 vac carb. Torker II intake 3:73:1 gears 12 bolt rear.

Offline OzTambo

• Assistant Night Janitor
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 02:43:36 AM »
wow... that looks great...