Author Topic: Engine Swap  (Read 6973 times)

Offline 80indypace

Engine Swap
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:26:06 PM »
I have 80 Indy Pace Car with original 4.9 Turbo engine with 75K on it. I am not very happy with the engine performance and thinking about taking it to a Restoration shop here in Lebanon, TN (Classiccarsse.com) To swap out the engine with maybe pontiac 400 or order an engine from industrial classic that put out 350 HP and plenty of torgue and and using fuel injection.

Can that be done?
I only have 7K to spend
Body, paint and interior are in great shape.

I am not fully understand with it means by number match--would some one please explain.

What would engine swap do to the value?

Or I should keep the 4.9 turbo but have it rebuilt.

Can someone please your honest opinion.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Engine Swap
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 04:57:20 AM »
In my honest opinion... This is my opinion only!

If I had a great condition, low production, low milage, mostly original  Trans am I'd offer it to the collector market before I butchered it up and started doing engine swaps and such. Only if the car did not sell for a fair price would I then choose to HOT ROD or modify it. You can find cars that are not numbers matching that have already been "souped" up a lot cheaper without destroying the low production car that you have.

If you decide to do an engine swap I'd hang on to the original 301 engine for later in life. If you ever decide to sell it... that ol' 301 might add more value to the car than your "souped" up all aluminum 502 BB Chevy with roller this and polished that.

I know the 301 is a sickly, poor, pathetic little engine, but it bears the Arrowhead, and for that it's a TRUE PONTIAC.  
Some people claim do whatever you want. It's your car.... etc.. And I agree but just don't ruin a number matching car to do it. Find one that has already been butchered and make it whatever your heart desires.

For the 7K that you have to spend you can buy a nice already modded TA and keep the Pace car tucked away in the garage. Just my opinion. :roll:

As far as numbers matching goes
There are serial numbers (VIN) stamped onto most major components of your car. The engine, transmission, frame, etc all have part of the cars VIN number that they were originally installed in. Having a car that still has all of it's original components usually make it worth more money to a buyer. And yes that even applies to that wimpy little pathetic 301.

Hope this helps and good luck.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline 80indypace

Engine Swap
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:55:12 AM »
Thanks for you honest opinion, 301 are a pathetic engine for a pace car - same goes for the turbo.  

I just wanted something to drive around on a nice weekend and show these young punk real American Muscle Car.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Engine Swap
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 01:59:35 PM »
I go both ways on this... (no, I don't go both ways in real life), my opinion is to do what you want to the car.  Will you be modifying a numbers matching car, yes.  But Like Tin said, keep the original engine and all of the parts removed from it so that if you ever go to sell it or wnat to put it back to original, then you have all of the parts.  So, yes, I do not like to see numbers matching cars souped up and taken away from Original, but it is your car and if you keep everything then it is somewhat ok to do.  Yes, $7,000 will get you alot for your money.  You can get a used Pontiac 400 for less than $500 and spend about $4,000 to get a respecatable amount of power (350 to 400hp) out of it and the remaining $2,500 you can use for the other things you will need like paying someone to do the swap, motor mounts, exhaust system, fuel lines, etc., ect. to get whatever else you need and also some money to properly prepare your original engine for a long storage.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline 80indypace

Engine Swap
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 02:23:08 PM »
Things starting to come togather for me.. would 4.9 turbo hood still fit? how about AC system?

Brett,

How about that 3 pcs louver, I still needed. Let me know the price and your email then I will pay by Paypal

Offline 80indypace

Engine Swap
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:36:30 PM »
Would TASPECIALTIES  do all that for that amount?

Offline 81BlackTA

Engine Swap
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 09:03:41 PM »
Another opinion for what its worth. If you are looking for 350 HP, you will to do a lot more to your car than just the engine. If you have T-tops, which it sounds like you do, you will want to look into some subframe connectors. The bolt inn ones are the easiest to do. Weld in ones require too much modification. I have also come across two bent rear axles in the not so strong stock 10 bolt rearends. The axles cant take a ton of abuse, like drifting, etc. Is your tranny really good? If the fluid isn't cherry red and has a brown tinge to it, your gonna have to have it done as well or the new power will likely grenade it in the same season. Then theres the exhaust hassles, cooling and the list goes on and on. Just some of the things me and my buddys have learned the hard ways over the years. Not trying to discourage you, just things to consider.
1 WS4 TA
ZZZ Roller 350
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge G1 Heads
XR264HR Comp Cam and valve train
Performer intake
TH350 3:08 posi
4 Wheel Disc

Offline 80indypace

Engine Swap
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 10:04:08 PM »
Thanks, I have took all that into consideration and decided to go with the stock engine that came with it and tranny rebuilt. So I have matching numbers.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Engine Swap
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 10:17:33 PM »
Quote from: 80indypace
Thanks, I have took all that into consideration and decided to go with the stock engine that came with it and tranny rebuilt. So I have matching numbers.

Good decision. :D

Offline wvaboy

Engine Swap
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 05:57:23 PM »
new to the board, i hope i don't get bashed for this too much.

my father has a "bandit" style 81 turbo t/a with the pontiac 301 in it also.
i'm waiting to hear back for sure on whether or not its a "SE" edition.

he's wanting to swap out the 301 turbo with a ls1 that is currently in my 99 t/a and save the 301 for later.

a few questions i have first.
what other modifications would have to be made.  his car is an automatic, would the new engine bolt straight up to that tranny?  

if i called someone to do the swap, who do you recommend.  i've talked with someone in nebraska and someone in ohio.  car is in wv, so that may play a part in where we take it.  young man in ohio,  basically said we would be an idiot for doing the swap, which leads me to my next question.

if we left the 301 turbo in the car, is there a turbo "upgrade" that we could make or purchase to get the car to run like the big boy it's suppose to be?

we both would love to drop my engine in his car, BUT, i don't want to run into a ton of problems by doing it.  ie, transmission, rear end, suspension, whatever.

are you saying since he's kept it stock this long to go ahead and leave it?
that's basically saying it's only good for looks, because performance wise right now, it's just not there.
here's a link to a few pics.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520144

thanks,
rob

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Engine Swap
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 07:46:24 PM »
I can't imagine that the transmission would connect.  Those cars are twenty years apart.  You'll also have to figure out all the wiring.  But it would be a fun project.

Offline turbota80

Engine Swap
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 10:07:55 PM »
I've got a 1980 Indy that i'm putting a 400 in.  I don't know what tranny they orininally had but mine has the chevy and pontiac bolt patterns on it.  other than that I only really needed motor mounts(for a '79 with a 400).  I know I got some rolled eyes on that one, but I never had the original tranny or motor and they are pretty few and far between here on MT.  So I'm just going to put it together for the sole intention of being able to drive my T/A.  Maybe someday I'll find an original 301T and rebuild it and store it.
TOP: Slow To Optional Pause

1980 Indy Pace Car (work in progress)

Offline wvaboy

Engine Swap
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 04:02:41 PM »
http://home.ripway.com/2005-1/240165/301shrine.html#history

found this with the search.
anyone forged the bottom on the 301 and put a bigger turbo in it on this board?

anybody have anything else?

thanks for any help,
rob