Author Topic: Electrical Problem...Not Pontiac Related  (Read 4873 times)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Electrical Problem...Not Pontiac Related
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »
This is with my daily driven '96 Saturn SL1..1.9L/4cyl.

I have noticed my dashlights flickering a bit for the past week or so...on Sunday, the "Battery" light (idiot light, no gauge) came on so I had the charging system checked at a parts store. They said battery was at 33% and the battery was bad. Conidering it was 3yrs old, I thought that was highly possible.

I removed a known good battery (same style/size) from another car yesterday and got it charged and checked: it was good.
Today while driving to the shop to swap battery, the car died (speedo/tach/temp gauge had stopped working and power was sluggish...I assumed this was the battery draining completely. I put the good battery in and car started right up, ran fine, but "battery" light remained on.
Tonight as I left the shop, I went back to the store for another check...this battery isn't receiving a charge either and is down to 10%  ::)

I drove the remaining 10 miles home and during the last mile, all gauges dropped again...ABS light came on..headlights/dash lights very very dim...just made it into my driveway before all went out, though car was still running. I put car into reverse so I would have working room when I get time to work on it and the car "slammed" (only way I know to describe it) when put in reverse. No other gears cause this...just "reverse".
It was loud and shook the car  ::) ...no idea how/why/if this is related but I assume it is somehow since there were/haven't been any other driveability problems.

So (since I am terrible with electrical issues  :-X ), any ideas? Advice?
Thanks in advance for your help...sorry this is so long but I wanted to include all symptoms in order to be as descriptive as possible ;)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:21:30 PM by 79WS6Resto »
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline dfred

Re: Electrical Problem...Not Pontiac Related
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:35:59 PM »
have you tried to put a new alternator in it?

Offline bobspacin80ta

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:38:35 PM »
That would be my guess also!
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:42:56 PM »
Yeah, I'd say the symptoms all point to an alternator problem.  The happy news is, as you know, they are easy to replace.  I know you said you had it tested, and the battery probably WAS low when they did, but something is causing the batteries to drain and a bad alternator is the most likely answer.  Do the dead batteries come back to life after you throw a charger on them?  That would be the dead giveaway.

On an unrelated note, how is it you think you're writing long posts?  Have you not read these treatises I put out?  In comparison, you're putting up the equivalent of a post-it note. :P ;)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:52:06 PM »
Yeah, I'd say the symptoms all point to an alternator problem.  The happy news is, as you know, they are easy to replace.  

I don't think you've looked at a transverse engine lately   :P ...the alternator isn't even visible from the topside and has to be removed through the RH front wheelwell  :'(
But at this point, I hope it is as simple as a new alternator...I'll check the fusible links also.

Any ideas on the violent shudder when shifting to reverse....never a single issue with it before tonight.

Thanks for the help...keep any ideas/advice coming.  :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:21:13 PM by 79WS6Resto »
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline bobspacin80ta

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:54:24 PM »
Is it electronically controlled? The tranny I mean?With a low battery maybe it has issues!
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 12:05:05 AM »
Could be I suppose...no idea  :-X

It drove fine all the way home though...no slips or noise. Just happened when I put it in reverse when I got home.
I did it a couple times to make sure I wasn't imagining it   ::)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:55:26 AM »
Ok, that's what I wanted to hear Hammer...well, not really  :-\ but at least it shows a connection between the issues.  ;)

Thanks for everyone's input and help with this...keep it coming since I'm not tearing into anything on the car in 20 degree weather (trust me when I say "the garage is FULL" (and currently frozen shut anyway)  :P ).
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:24:57 AM »
79WS6Resto, you're right about that engine.  My daughter has a Saturn and my wife an Acura.  Both cars have that transverse engine.  It's a PIA to work on.  However, I think you can get it up on jack stands, pull the front passenger wheel and then the inner wheelhouse and you should be able to get some access.  My daughter's Saturn has developed a leak in the radiator that I have to address....but that doesn't look to hard to pull.

I agree with the rest of these guys that your alternator is bad.

Offline stimpy

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »
well you can always buy 10 schwinn bicycle alternators and mount them on the fender on the rearwhell if you think the alternator is too much trouble .... ;D ;D :P

Offline milly

• Adv. Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 12:37:34 AM »
Jeffery, you have an email.  ;D
John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird

Central Illinois Firebirds
Ohio Firebirds

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:23:11 PM »
Thanks to all who gave advice...I kinda' thought it was the alternator after having the same problem after the 2nd battery but the transmission issue stumped me (glad to be assured they are related issues).

I picked up a new alternator today and will try to get it installed over the weekend.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »
Ok, it's done! and all seems well.  ;D

And as far as the engineers responsible for that design.... %#!$*&#!!  >:(  :D :D
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 10:26:37 PM »
How did you get to the alternator?  I may have to do the same job on my daughters Saturn someday.

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 10:29:40 PM »
How did you get to the alternator?  I may have to do the same job on my daughters Saturn someday.

I'm not sure how he did it, but he borrowed my sawzall and cutting torch.