Author Topic: '79 10th Anniversary T/A "freshening up" started!  (Read 177820 times)

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
Re: '79 10th Anniversary T/A "freshening up" started!
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 10:01:29 PM »
Looks good ... new clutch & pressure plate recently?
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 08:27:13 AM »
Looks good ... new clutch & pressure plate recently?
actually it's about 9 years old. shows how much i drive the car huh LOL? i thought about re-using it when the new engine shows up...
-Billy

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 08:40:19 AM »
600HP & the Tremec, eh.  At 9 years old, you'd really want to look hard at that - I don't know if the material holds up that well - it may.  Definitely a new pilot/throwout would be in order.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »
   like i said i "thought" about it, i'll probably just get a new clutch...
-Billy

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 10:21:28 AM »
It looks great :) And it's seems like a great car to start refreshing :) Good luck with it :)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
HOLY COW, you've been busy.  Looks like the project is coming along great!  I've been watching, drooling, watching, taking a sip of a Soda, got some potato chips and dip....thinking this was on TV and thinking.......I love this movie.  Then I realized I wasn't watching TV...LOL.  You're doing the work like a pro, excellent job thus far and I commend you for just starting something like this in the first place on a rare car. 

Suggestion, now may be the time to do a heater core change as they are only about $30 bucks and you don't have to be cramped due to the fenders and wheel wells being on the car.  It would save you a lot of time to do the job now rather than later if it was never changed and it's just good insurance.   ;)

OUTSTANDING WORK and I'll be watching, with popcorn, or a soda, or.......see there I go again.  LOL
yep- i already thought of that :) i actually need to replace the a/c accumulator, evaporator, heater core, and blower motor. anyway, i'm glad you like the show haha
-Billy

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 02:47:14 PM »
It looks great :) And it's seems like a great car to start refreshing :) Good luck with it :)
  thansk again for the compliments! yes, when you start with a car thats never been wrecked and has 48k original on it, it comes apart relatively easy. i expected a nightmare of stuck/ rusted hardware... but it's all coming apart with minimal effort.
-Billy

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 04:35:12 AM »
I had it just as easy with my TATA, when we removed the engine, its got nearly 80k on it, and has been in Norway since 1980, so I was expecting a whole lot of trouble and rust on it, but it wasnt :) The only thing that we had some minor problems with en the engine bay was the metal line for the power steering pump, but other than that, everything came apart, every nut and bolt on the engine, without breaking a sweat.
"81 Turbo Trans Am"

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »
I had it just as easy with my TATA, when we removed the engine, its got nearly 80k on it, and has been in Norway since 1980, so I was expecting a whole lot of trouble and rust on it, but it wasnt :) The only thing that we had some minor problems with en the engine bay was the metal line for the power steering pump, but other than that, everything came apart, every nut and bolt on the engine, without breaking a sweat.
  oh cool! did you restore yours? if so, i was trying to figure out what to do in regard to paint on the underside and fire wall/ cowl area. the factory looks like they just shot the firewall, and let it go about 6 inches or so down onto the undercarriage. the rest of the undercarriage appears to be just primer or the same silver they used on the rest of the car, except without using any clear. the cowl looks like they may have just oversprayed the dark charcoal color when they shot the hood cuz the outer edges aren't the same color as the center section of the cowl. i was thinking of using the firewall paint all the way down completely covering the undercarriage all the way to the rear bumper.
-Billy

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »
I've only repainted the exterior, and repainted everything in the engine bay when the engine was out for an overhaul\paintjob :) Got some extra power now as well =D Haven't done anything with the undercarriage, just the inner fenders both front and rear, painted that, and the subframe + control arms and sway bars in a gloss black color (not factory ;) , but I like it )
"81 Turbo Trans Am"

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 11:10:09 AM »
billy, just want to repeat a "well done" you have alot of people following your project...keep those pics comming.  sounds like you have the knowlege and means to do most of the work yourself...what will you have to"farm out"?
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »
thanks again for the compliments  ;D. being a GM tech for a long time helps with the actual work ;)  having all my tools and toolbox at home AND being a Snap On Tools dealer helps with getting stuff i need for the project :)
  farming out? well, off the top of my head, all major paint/ body work will have to be done by someone else. i'm going to have the frame stripped, but it i'll probably refinish it myself, along with all the small pieces. i plan on doing the whole underneath first so the car can be started and moved if need be. after all thats done, i'll move to the interior. after that, repaint with new decals. at this point, the next "step" will be to get the frame off the car and dissasembled. one of my customers does stripping and powdercoating, so thats where it will go...
-Billy

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »
  got the frame off this past weekend, despite a bad cold and holiday travel...

... and here's some the goodies that will be going on when the frame is done   >:D

the guys at Butler performance said it best- "big motor= bigger brakes"

-Billy

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2009, 11:52:11 PM »
Billy, youre making me drool!
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »
Are you using the stock wheels or larger custom wheels...I gues what I'm trying to get at is will the upgraded brakes and rotors fit the stock rims?

i'm curious for my application
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)