Author Topic: Will an electronic speed sensor plug into an older style 700r4?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline 1989GTA

• Saved from the scrapper
I had to go and buy another 700r4 trans for my 89 ta.  This one has the provisions for the torque bar.  The trans uses a mechanical speedo, my ta uses an electronic one.  Will my electronic speed sensor plug into the hole that the mechanical one came out of and work?
For the $600, I could not allow it to go to the crusher.  It just caught my eye.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Will an electronic speed sensor plug into an older style 700r4?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:01:06 PM »
I know nothing about gen 3 TAs and less about 700r4 trannys -- but my guess would be "no".  Electronic widgets don't plug into mechanical thingys and work very often -- different animals.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »
some companies do make adapters from mechanical to electronical.....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline mastiso77

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 09:57:25 PM »
I came across the same problem with a 91 chevy pickup. Its an easy fix. Pull the 4 bolts on the rear housing on both trans. Once removed you will notice the mechanical gear is plastic and the electronic is steel. Just swap the two around and you're good to go. The only bad part is finding a large enough puller for the steel gear. Remember to reset the detent cable once the new trans is in. If not you could burn up a new trans. Oh, keep the rear housing together with the steel gear so you can bolt on the torque arm.  Sorry if this gets to you late.
77 W72 TA
66 IMPALA SS 327
87 OLDS CUTLASS SUPREME
92 GMC 1500 383