Author Topic: 1978 8-track play speed adjust? (only plays at Alvin and the Chipmunks speed.)  (Read 11458 times)

Offline stp667

I have a question about my 8 track stereo.  Is there an adjustment anywhere on the radio that anyone knows about?  I'm trying to play my 70's and 80's Journey and Foreigner tapes and all that comes out is Alvin and the Chipmunks!  I purchased the stereo and it was supposed to be "refurbished."  Any info would be greatly appreciated!!  The speed is too fast, and does change when I move the tape around, but it goes back to superfast mode when I let go.  Thanks!!

Offline LTD

It almost sounds like them wrong belt is installed.  If the belt is too tight, the player will play at the wrong speed.  The belt runs from the player motor itself to the pinch wheel. 

Offline RPO_Z06

• '76 455/4-Speed
    • My Trans Am photo album
It's been a long time since I've messed with one but if memory serves me correctly the head azimuth needs to be tighter towards the tape to bring the speed down. 
I think the old trick to test this was to wedge a folded matchbook on one side of the tape to tighten it.

Man that hurt my brain trying to remember that.
Jamie
'76 Golden rod yellow/Deluxe buckskin, factory 455 4-speed.
'01 Speedway white Z06/mod-red, LS6 6-speed. (493 rwhp)
*My pictures*
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/RPO_Z06/

Offline stp667

Yes, it hurts my brain listening to the chipmunks!  I am going to try the folded matchbook thing and see if it works.  Thank you for the replies!!  Is there an azimuth adjustment screw?

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
I'm afraid I don't know where it is on the post 1972 players, but I do work on the old t400 8 tracks and there is a speed adjustment on those so I'm sure there is a speed adjustment on the newer models. There is usually a hole in the cover that you can see a small screw head through. One the newer ones, you may have two holes like this. One being the antenna trimmer for AM and the other being the 8 track motor speed. The antenna trimmer is usually on the fron next to the tuning knob. As I said, I don't know where the adjustment is on the newer model 8 tracks but I kinda doubt you'll be able to reach it easily while the radio is installed in the car.
 I can't imagine that the belt or the tape itself being loose would cause the speed to be too fast. The motor turns the capstan at a set speed. The capstan is what drives the tape itself. So if the tape wasn't pushed up against the capstan well enough, the tape would actually drag/slip. Not run faster.
Randy

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
Does anyone have any updates to this issue? I just installed an AM/FM 8 track factory unit (refurbished) and I am having the same problem.  It's not quite as bad as Alvin and the Chipmunks, but Robert Plant definately sounds like he's inhaled some helium on Black Dog and Boston sounds like .5 seconds too fast.  All of my 8 tracks sounds a tad too fast as well.

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
 :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:49:04 PM by Burd Turd »
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline ILLINI 79 TA

• 1979 Mayan Red TA for sale
I have the same problem on my 79 TA . plays tapes , but too fast.
Dave from Fighting Illini Country -
 79 Solar Gold - sold

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
I have the same problem on my 79 TA . plays tapes , but too fast.

Ok, well, I found a solution.  I want to thank John at Precision Radio who gracefully answered my question.  They fix and restore radios (http://www.delcorepairs.com/).  So, there is a hole in the top of the unit, left side, about half way toward the back.  There is an allen adjustment.  I didn't have a allen wrench small enough, so I just used a small screwdriver, turned it about a quarter turn, and the speed was fixed.  Left makes it go slower, right makes it go faster.  Now my 8-track sounds normal.  Thanks again Precision Radio. On the attached image, the scissors are pointing to the hole you need to adjust.  Also, John told me that this is where the adjustment is on my radio, it my be different on other units.  This unit actually came off a 1979 TA.

Offline ILLINI 79 TA

• 1979 Mayan Red TA for sale
thanks for the info ,  have to try that.
Dave from Fighting Illini Country -
 79 Solar Gold - sold

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
One thing for sure, removing the duct work sucks.  But, turns out after I put it all back, the A/C blows harder than ever before.  Musta not been put back right after whoever installed the CD player the last time.  I'm glad to be back with an original AM/FM 8 track AND have my A/C working better than ever AND have my Blue Oyster Cult and Led Zeppelin not sound like the Chipmunks.  I still don't ever want to change a stereo in an F body ever again.

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
Mine started playing fast again. So it was off with the duct work, glove box, ash tray, center console, etc, but managed to adjust speed and get it all back together again.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
You fella's do know the radio will slip out on the left side of the dash. Right? Remove the nuts from the shafts and as you push the radio back lift the rear up so that the dial portion drops down once you clear the ashtray housing and HVAC stuff. Then tilt the left side down ans it will slide right down into the floor. Its tight and you have to tilt and wiggle a little but it sure slides right out.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Of course the duct and cover just under the column has to come off as well as the factory radio to dash bracket
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
You fella's do know the radio will slip out on the left side of the dash. Right? Remove the nuts from the shafts and as you push the radio back lift the rear up so that the dial portion drops down once you clear the ashtray housing and HVAC stuff. Then tilt the left side down ans it will slide right down into the floor. Its tight and you have to tilt and wiggle a little but it sure slides right out.

I tried this method but it never seemed to work for me on my TA. It worked once on my 76 Camaro back in the day. Removing the glove box and duct work is the procedure from the service manual. On this occasion, I actually never removed the unit, just dropped it enough to access the speed adjust for the 8 Track, as it had to have power and a tape in to properly adjust the speed. The trick was having enough room on top of unit to have my hand and an Allen wrench vertical into to adjustment hole, there's also no room above radio.