Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Yukon Jack

New to the forum
« on: March 03, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »
As of last week, I'm the proud owner of a 1980 Pontiac Trans AM. A prior owner swapped in a 455 Oldsmobile along with a TH400. The build sheet was sitting in the glove box along with the owner's manual. It originally had the 301 and I'm guessing that went to a TH350. The rear axle should be a 2.41 with a posi, but I haven't confirmed that it is still that ratio. My guess is that it is. The prior owner has installed new door panels and seat covers. It looks like the center console is not original. The vehicle does have a salvage/rebuilt title which helped me negotiate the price, but it drives straight and smooth and so far I'm very pleased with it.

I had a 1980 Camaro in the end of high school and have wanted another 2nd gen for many years.

Here are a few pics of the TA and the build sheet.

The larger engine sets the shaker a little off center - I imagine cutting the base of the air cleaner and shifting it over will get that taken care of.

I've got some plans for things I would like to do to the TA but they will have to wait for funds and time. I like the Weld wheels but am not a big fan of the big and small look. I think I'd like to even out the tire size. I noticed the 17" Honeycomb rims on Year One's site that are set for release - they sure would add the right classic look to this TA. Later on I'd like to drop the stance a touch also.

My first project will be replacing the passenger side exterior door handle, then both windows need to be adjusted.

The heater box was cut out by a prior owner to fit the 455 so that is something I have to tackle.  I can go without a/c, but gotta have heat!  Already found some great posts in the electrical section on this subject that are extremely helpful!

Here's the build sheet.

And yes I've already been stopped in it - the prior owner let me drive it home with his tag, which happened to have a 2010 sticker on it.  The Kansas Highway Patrol trooper didn't like that - I think it didn't help that the prior owner's tag was GOTFAST.
1980 Pontiac Trans Am, 455 Oldsmobile
1970 Blazer with a 400 sbc and 4" lift
1969 K20 with a 454, a bit of lift and 35's

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:40:36 PM »
Let me be the first ro welcome you to the forum . Nice looking T/A ,that red is one sharp color !

btw I am with you on the YO 17 inch wheels .I would love to have them on the Marty someday

It looks like the center console is not original

Yes I believe your right .They do make replica replacement center consoles ,and although not perfect ,they sure look like factory .I may be stuck buying one myself as at some point I am going to install a 5 speed standard
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:47:32 PM by RainMan »

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »
welcome
She's a Winner

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »
Welcome to 78ta, nice ride!!
Rich

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »
welcome. i think your shaker is sitting off as i see no base at all. that may take a roll in why its not centered. just a thought.
nice looking t/a by the way.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline Yukon Jack

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes!

y8rick, I'll have t shoot a pic of the bottom of the scoop.  It has a ring that appears to be used to tighten the shaker to the air cleaner, but that may not be what you are indicating a base should be.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:48:09 AM »
welcome to site, you'll find the peoople here are very knowledgale, and more then willing to try help out!!!

Very nice car!!!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline Trevon

• That's not leaking oil, it's marking its territory
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 01:58:16 AM »
I'm at work right now and the pictures don't show up but I'm posting here so I can follow this thread and see how that shaker is on there.

I have a '78 with an Olds 455/TH400 and my shaker was mounted to the hood.  Just a couple of weeks ago I took it off and want to get it on the engine again.  After I took it off I also notice the engine sits approx. 1" right of center (in the hole for the shaker)  I am working on a fix for mine, just think I will have to try a few different intake options.

And welcome

USAF Crew Chief

Offline Trans am Oz

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 02:00:18 AM »
welcome to the site mate ;D

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 04:52:44 AM »
Welcome :) Nice car you got :)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline CT Bird Fan

• Dave
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 06:26:19 AM »
Maybe you need a shaker for an Olds 403, as the shakers are different for various engines because of the air cleaner base differences. This may help.

http://www.78ta.com/scoops.php
Gone but not forgotten - 1979 Formula, 1980 Esprit.

Being birdless sucks!

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 09:30:35 AM »
Welcome. Nice looking T/A. I really like the color.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Yukon Jack

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
Here's a bottom view of my shaker.

Looking at the Olds scoop in the above link, it's a little hard to tell if mine is correct.  I'm guessing not.

Thanks for the compliments on the color - I'm very pleased with it also.  It looks better in pictures than in person but that is fine with me as this is a driver and with the paint not being perfect makes it a little easier to enjoy driving a lot.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:44:56 AM by Yukon Jack »

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 09:45:11 AM »
VERY nice car. VERY sweet.

I was thinking like some of the other folks out there. If you get a shaker for a 403 Olds it might fix your offset problems.

But that is a VERY nice car, man, VERY nice.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
Looks like they kept the 301 shaker on it, so that's not going to work, unless you do some fabrication. I'm wondering what kind of air cleaner it's sitting on, since I can't see an air cleaner in the pics.
Here's another place to see more info and pics about the shakers and the air cleaners they sit on. There's info about the air cleaners here that isn't in the 78ta link: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=34280.0
Steve F.