Author Topic: LASER engraver thread  (Read 37729 times)

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
LASER engraver thread
« on: June 17, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
Hi all ,my 80 watt laser engraver slash cutter has arrived and is this thing heavy .I got it out of the crate and now it's a cake walk because thankfully they used casters underneath  .This is going to be a bit of work as I need to build a bench to hold the water chiller ,compressor and laptop ,and then theres the hole I have to cut in my garage for the exhaust etc . Hopefully by next weekend I should be engraving and cutting plexi .For my first project I was really hoping to engrave the trans am bird onto plexi and have LED's light it up ,and plexi key chains if I  can make anything interesting that is .
Here's a few pics of the 9060's arrival

Comes in a huge crate ,close to half a ton

After removing all the plastic and packing foam

With the access door open you can see the red colored laser output head on the overhead gantry towards the right rear

I will be updating this thread as things progress .Thanks for looking
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:14:55 PM by RainMan »

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: My Laser engraver thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »
I miss being single  :-[ ...nice new toy!
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline bobspacin80ta

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
Single guys have the best toys!
'80 T/A Indy pace car
'78 Grand Prix
'78 Grand Prix

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »
I miss being single  :-[ ...nice new toy!

Single guys have the best toys!

Ya I love toys!  
I get this warm fuzzy feeling every time semi trucks pull up to the house  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:39:51 PM by RainMan »

Offline BONES

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
Sweet.  What's the largest stock you can handle?

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
Sweet.  What's the largest stock you can handle?
The 9060 supports material  900 by 600 mm or about  23.5 by 35 and a maximum of 10 inches deep.
I wanted the next size up ,1200 by 900 mm  but it was going to be a 2 month wait . I also wanted to upgrade to a150 watt laser but they do not engrave well as the larger tubes do not like working at lower voltages for engraving . Ideally it would be nice to get the next size up and dedicate one laser to cutting and the other to engraving. If I can ever get the cash together I will have them both. Maybe if I sell the Marty?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:56:20 PM by RainMan »

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
Re: Laser engraver thread
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »
Looks  sweet   

Offline BAN78

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »
Rainman,
Do you think that can laser cut a key for rear louvers? Someone on here had the exact dimensions for one.

Troy
1978 Trans AM SE 403

Troy

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:59:47 PM »
Gunners first commandment:

THOU SHALT NOT SELL THE MARTY! ;D

That being said. That maching looks VERY cool! What all can you work with it? I would assume plastic, but how about wood? I would think so, all things being equal, but then again you got the manual.

So, THAT being said.......

How about some pics of what you been practiceing on? Show us how its going!

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »
Right on Rick!!!!

I look forward to some of your creations
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
Rainman,
Do you think that can laser cut a key for rear louvers? Someone on here had the exact dimensions for one.

Troy

Sorry but it's really only does 2 dimensional .

Right on Rick!!!!

I look forward to some of your creation

Me to .
 That's what I love about this machine  it's just up to your imagination . I had an idea that I think would look pretty cool , do multi layers of plexi . Have one etched of the Marty ,one of the sky and one if the mountains . I think 3 layers of plexi layered together like that may look kinda cool  . Would be neat if a guy could use different colors of LEDs for each plexi engraving . If it works I will have my first lit up picture on my living room wall .
I am hoping to have it working by next weekend . Pretty anxious to see that first cut. I am going to put my digital camera right inside to make a video of it in action . Not my good one though lol

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
Re: LASER engraver thread
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
Gunners first commandment:

THOU SHALT NOT SELL THE MARTY! ;D

That being said. That maching looks VERY cool! What all can you work with it? I would assume plastic, but how about wood? I would think so, all things being equal,
but then again you got the manual.

So, THAT being said.......

How about some pics of what you been practiceing on? Show us how its going!

Gunner

Gunner it will cut plexiglass around an inch thick . I wish it was a 150 watt as it would go threw it like butter . 80 watt just takes longer thats all.
It will engrave on steel , no cuttung . It will cut that special wood they use for model airplanes and most plastics .
I met this gentleman named Stan from Ontario who is mentoring me threw this,and he uses his for engraving pictures on wood .

I actually bought this to help me with building my future computer desk .Hard to believe but that desk is how this all got started .I was going to send files to Calgary and get them to cut the required plexi parts that I was going to need ,but then I thought to heck with it and just buy  my own machine .
It's going to be one of the more expensive desks out there

I started to think about it and considering that I like photography and digital art ,it would make perfect sense to invest in this engraver . Thats what I keep telling myself anyways.
I don't dirt bike anymore  and I'm to fat to take up my dream of skydiving in a wing suit ,so I thought pound my visa on this instead lol.

I am really looking forward to trying to engrave pictures on plexi . When you install LED edge lighting it highlights the engraving . Should be fun I think and maybe a future side business?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:32:00 PM by RainMan »

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
Hey Rainman...that interpart louver key is just flat stock - 2 dimensional. Since there seems to be some interest for keys, you might be able to fill a need if you could recoup your stock and cutting expenses. Just a suggestion...

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »
Ok well thats a good thing then , a person could scan it and email me and I can see if I can do it

I wonder how thick it is ? Would have to find stock of the same thickness or belt sand it as close as possible . Someone needs to take a measurement with a micrometer ideally
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:09:54 PM by RainMan »

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »
I think Jeff hit the nail on the head.

I'd love to mess about with a toy like that.................. i can imagine what sort of things that i could be making.....

Very nice.
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )