Author Topic: What does it hurt???  (Read 7577 times)

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
What does it hurt???
« on: February 14, 2006, 10:00:24 PM »
Gents, I am curious as to what the effect on value would be if a person changed a factory red/white mixed interior into a black/white mixed interior. I am to the stage of ordering interior parts in my restoration and I just think I prefer to put it back black/white. The car is a 76 and I plan to keep it for several years. But, will it really effect the value if the car is numbers matching and the interior is not as GM built the car? I mean I know it depends on the person buyin it... but say would it be a $300.00 drop in value or $1000.00

I goofed in the set up of the poll

Should be RED/WHITE

I'm an idiot today...well most days
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline 77transamfan

What does it hurt???
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
i think red/black looks better. i would just go back all original. what ever your car came with would be what goes back in it if it was me.
 love my '77  trans am
"Duck, or you'll be talkin' out your a**."

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
What does it hurt???
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 10:49:11 PM »
I feel the same way about being loyal to the originality of a car. I mean I'd go to the end of the world looking for an original part before I'd use an aftermarket part. Especially on a car that is original except tires, belts, plugs, wires, dist cap and battery. I'm just really having a hard time swallowing this red!!! I figure I'll do whats right in the end and maybe this is just my crazy way of talking myself into it. LOL

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
What does it hurt???
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 11:35:26 PM »
Gee..... Lets see, what colors did I vote for?.... Hmmmm... Just take a look around you at the colors of my website and I bet you can guess which color combo I picked.

Ok, for my two cents here...... Here is what I always tell people.  Who cares about what the value of the car is going to be when it is done.  You are not doing this for the money, you are doing this for the love of your car.  Don't listen to people who tell you what to do with your car.  You know why?...... IT IS YOUR CAR..... You paid the money for it, you can do with it whatever you want to do.  If you want black and red, black and white, white and red, red and pink, purple and fucia.... who cares... it is yours and I think you should do with the car what your heart desires.  After all, whatever color changes you make.... it is not like they cannot be undone at any point in time.  Whatever color you go with on the interior can be changed before you sell it so why not make the car exactly how you want it to be?  The car is yours for whatever period of time you see fit, so make it yours, make it what you want, and don't let people tell you otherwise.

Did I sound too passionate?
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
What does it hurt???
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 11:57:15 PM »
Quote from: "Hitman"
Did I sound too passionate?

No -- but to me, my car is therapy.

In the past few years I have accumulated a boat-load of problems I neither sought nor wanted.  All of them came from situations that were put into action many years ago.  The people who started them in motion either moved off, gave up, died, or walked away.  In life, SOMEBODY has to be the adult and make the hard decisions.  I feel the obligation to be that person, and it is NOT easy.  In short, I NEED something to distract me from the toils and troubles of daily life.

I therefore try to keep my original 31 year old TA in as close to factory shape as possible.  If I pick up another gen 2 F-body I will probably modify it as I see fit, but not get too far from the "factory" configuration.  I've done likewise with a gen 1 Sprint, a 1966 Chevy Impala, and a 1977 GM H-body.  But my gen 2 TA is special -- so I try to keep it as original as possible.  Driving it, sitting in it, even LOOKING at it allows me to take a "mental vacation" back to a time when I did not have all these snakes to kill and alligators to remove from the swamp.

Just an idea of why I vote for keeping my cars somewhat close to what they were originally. :lol:

Offline blurryduck

What does it hurt???
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 06:24:16 AM »
well i just got my first t/a. theres alot i want to do to it some of it i want to look like the factory put it on and some stuff i want to change to fit me so i say do what makes you feel all warm and fussy inside.

Offline Zulu

• http://groups.msn.com/TransAm1978
Re: What does it hurt???
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 10:33:23 AM »
Quote from: "Tin Indians Rule"
Gents, I am curious as to what the effect on value would be if a person changed a factory red/white mixed interior into a black/white mixed interior. I am to the stage of ordering interior parts in my restoration and I just think I prefer to put it back black/white.

To answer your question directly, YES it will effect the value. Consider two otherwise identical TA's side by side. One with its original interior (or restored to original colors) verses one that has been changed. The original will be worth more in a raw/static sense. Forget about what some prospective buyer might pay in the future because there probably would be a buyer who would pay more for the black/white interior simply because they don't like red. That throws too many wrenches into the equation. The raw value will be less.

You said you think you would prefer black/white. The question then becomes, do you prefer black/white enough to lessen the value of your car by say $800? (figure pulled out of the air). It all comes down to what YOU want as Hitman pointed out. If you feel like you want black/white then that's what you should do.

My 78 has the Carmine/White interior. Back in 78 when I bought the car new, I wanted a Mayan red car with an all black interior but I couldn't find one that also was a W72 4spd car. W72 4spd was more important to me than non-W72 with a black interior so I bought the car. Even though I would have preferred a black interior, it never crossed my mind to change the color after the car was mine. But that's me. I happen to like original cars more. Some people like all original cars, some people like modded cars. When it's your own property to do with as you please, there's no right or wrong.
 1978 TA W72 4sdp, WS6, Orig Owner -
- If there's nothing to do, I believe in doing nothing -

Offline TAbird79

What does it hurt???
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 11:23:34 AM »
When I got this car from the junkyard it was red with tan interior. As you can see I changed it to what I wanted (white with dark blue interior). It all needed to be replaced anyway.  If this car is an investment, don't change it.  If its yours for the long run to have fun with and enjoy, I say change it to whatever you want.....
979 403 Olds TA

Offline 784mula

• Ohio Firebirds
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/784MULA
What does it hurt???
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 07:27:48 PM »
This topic really hits home. My original 77' Formula was black with gold trim with black deluxe interior & I loved it. My current 78 as you can see has carmine red standard interior. I almost didnt buy this car for that reason & always ponder about changing it out, but the other half of me says keep it stock/matching numbers. Its to mint to swap it out. I did post several times if anyone was ever interested in swapping colors, but never pursued it. It definitely is not something I would order from the show room, but sure makes for an interesting color combination conversation...Say that three times!!

1978 FORMULA 1st place 2007 TA NATS Stk Class
1977 FORMULA (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
What does it hurt???
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 08:07:52 PM »
1) That
2) That
3) That
 :lol:

That really is a great looking formula. Shhh... Dont tell anyone, but they are my favorite!! 8)

When I was about 12-13 years old this guy would come into my Mom's C-Store every morning while I was waiting to walk down to school. He had a 79-81 Gold Formula and I just drooled over that thing. Right then I became a F-Body guy. I always watched him til he was outta sight. Occasionally he'd leave sideways for me. 4 years later... Black and Silver 79 Formula with Hurst Hatch T-tops for me.  :lol:

Offline Eagle 1

What does it hurt???
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 09:33:05 PM »
I say its your car and your money, do what you want.
Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  :wink:
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."