Author Topic: Little help? Helping to restore the parcel shelf on my dad's '78 Y88 Gold  (Read 3755 times)

Offline qurtrn10

When my dad bought his '78 TA, the previous owner had 4 speakers on the parcel shelf.  For Father's Day, I'm helping him fix it - we want it to look original and sound good as well.

I've already got the saddle tan vinyl covered board with the holes on both sides where speakers will be.  I've also ordered a new set of speaker enclosures from Classic Industries, and on eBay I've found 1 original 78 speaker grille and 1 enclosure mount (I'm still looking for a second of both of those).

Just tonight while looking for another grill and enclosure mount, I saw a jute padding for insulation of the parcel shelf, so we will probably order that as well.  The three big questions I still have are:

1) Are there any other parts I might want to look at as well? 

2) Are there any pictures of the parcel shelf with holes installed?  I imagine that you don't put the grilles on if the shelf has the holes already in it, but I really don't know.  And lastly...

3) What can I do about the holes left in the parcel shelf from the middle two speakers?  I don't want the new cardboard shelf to sag where there is no metal anymore (I think they are around 9" circular holes).

Thanks a bunch, and looking forward to getting this project done! 

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Neat car. What shape are those end rectangular speaker on the underside, as in what shape holes? That could cause problem with stock sized speakers and their covers. You'll soon know if the 4 stud holes are still there to mount the covers through the speakers below.

Yes, you'll want some sort of thin board or metal plate to cover the middle speakers, wouldn't need much as the original is thin anyway. Possibly just a plate over the centre and a few self-tappers to secure, don't want it vibrating with tunes or driving.

Depending how far you want to go, or how badly cut up it is, you may want to replace the parcel tray itself with a used cut from an original car. This is what I have although yet to weld in. Previous owner added much larger speakers and I want original size. Also, with those speakers in your photo they've likely hacked up the jack holder brackets under the shelf, or made them unuseable. It's generally accepted that no one would ever use the original jack as it ruins your bumpers but like to have it for originality, so that may not be a huge factor anyway.

The holes in the parcel tray are not original, but same like the hidden look. Original had the speaker cutouts and mesh covers over the board. Some aftermarket speakers would require some extra clearance too if sticks out from speaker mount but still lower than stock covers.

Oh wait, you mean the current speaker holes once speakers removed in centre. I thought you meant the new boards that sometimes have perforated pinholes in speaker locations. You'd definitely be wanting a new board since all 4 of your speakers will ruin your current one, it isn't useable.

However, be aware that nearly all new boards are the wrong colour for camel tan and need to be recoloured to match interior. There always seems to be some variation in the shade of tan, even new, but they are often a long way off.

Not sure if you have a new board or just the one in pic?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Bit confused, so my reply won't make sense at all points. Are your reusing the board in pics with extra holes, or do you have a new board, but it is the type that has the perforated speaker locations? If so, you can cut the speakers out leaving enough meat for the grille studs to pass through and clamp, covering the hole completely. Or can leave the perforations there too, if speaker top clears. Or just cut some out. All works, original was top cover only, only one speaker originally in rear shelf, second speaker a common upgrade!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
You've probably seen them but there rear shelf cuts will also give you an idea of how it looks originally. This one has the second speaker hole pressed out as is nearly always the case. But you can see the size they need to be to accept the stock speakers and grilles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-81-CAMARO-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-FULL-REAR-PACKAGE-TRAY-SPEAKER-AREA-/291780777896?fits=Model%3ACamaro&hash=item43ef7d57a8:g:s4UAAOSwJhNXUG9J&vxp=mtr

The stock grilles do come up from time to time, used only. They are the same from 70-81 and for Camaro too. About 80-81 there was a slightly different version came out, seems to have less holes around edge and a different border, you'll see the difference if you already have an original.

Actually here's one on ebay. You can see they have the larger border, and the stud location seems to show the whole grille is larger too, look for the regular type.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-81-TRANS-AM-FIREBIRD-CAMARO-FACTORY-REAR-SPEAKER-GRILL-81-STYLE-/252387376622?hash=item3ac375bdee:g:VFkAAOSw~oFXNJDp&vxp=mtr

Offline qurtrn10

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if my post wasn't 100% clear.  This is the part I bought with the holes:

With this, do I install a speaker grille as well, over top of this panel, or do I not use a speaker grille at all?

Offline qurtrn10

And as far as the holes on the outer speakers, I'm not sure.  I'm off work tomorrow, so I think I'll swing by his place and see what he thinks about taking out the speakers so we can get a good look at what we are dealing with.

Replacing the metal parcel shelf would have been great to do when he did the body restoration ten years ago, but that will definitely be more than what we are looking to do this go around.  Maybe later on down the road if it poses issues we might do it, but we are hoping for a day project of removing the existing speakers and panel, and replacing it with an improved setup.  Thanks though - I really appreciate the advice.

Offline qurtrn10

We pulled out the speakers today.  The outer speaker holes are 10" x 6.5".  I hope that won't pose a problem in selecting a flush mount speaker and using the enclosures.  The holes cut in the middle for the additional speakers are 6.5" circular holes - I'll probably use some thin MDF to fill them up.

We also found a bunch of wiring that was taped up in a clump in the trunk.  Turned out that a few of the wires were still hot.  We decided to tear them out, and well, one thing led to another.  7 hours later we called it quits for the night.  We pulled out old wiring that went to an old CB (long gone), an alarm from the 90s, and an UNCO alarm from the 80s.  While we had to pull a lot of the interior panels out, we are going to try redying them (they are pretty faded), and are going to replace some worn out parts while we're in there. 

I think my dad might have a Chilton's type manual at his house, but just in case, is there a wiring diagram available for the interior online?  It might come in handy if we have any issues firing it back up later.

Thanks!

Offline Transatrom

Go on Facebook and type in Second Gen Graveyard and you will find John D. Lorean has what your looking for.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
I think my dad might have a Chilton's type manual at his house, but just in case, is there a wiring diagram available for the interior online?  It might come in handy if we have any issues firing it back up later.

A factory service manual is an invaluable tool to have ;)
http://www.78ta.com/store/home.php?cat=8
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline qurtrn10

Thanks for the help!

I joined the group on Facebook, and I bookmarked the page with the manuals.  I know my dad has some kind of book, but the cover didn't look like the ones in the picture.  I'll find out what it is when I go over later today.
Thanks again!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Those speakers holes have been enlarged over the original holes which were only for 6x9" and only for below fitting, not top. Check first with your stock speaker grille, you may be stuck going back with the same large size, or when using a thin board or sheet to cover the centre holes, extend it across the entire panel if needing to regain some mounting points and sandwich the panel.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:16:40 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline qurtrn10

Thanks.  We're at the point of reconnecting some wiring after the old alarm system wiring has been removed. 

When I look under the steering column, I see these two connectors just hanging by themselves, not connected to anything and not secured anywhere.  Can anyone tell me what these are, and where they should go?

There's a few other wiring questions I have, but they look more appropriate for the electrical section.

Thanks again - I'm hoping to fire the car up tonight.

Offline qurtrn10

I'm those connectors, one of the wires in the black connector (an orange wire with a black stripe) is hot all the time.  In the white connector, one of its wires (pink) is key on hot.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Those plugs are for the buzzers.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:21:06 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline qurtrn10

No, I can't get the car to crank.  Do you know where those two plugs should be plugged into?  I can't find anything within reach of the plugs that they could connect to.