Author Topic: Another Tach question  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Kieranforinton

Another Tach question
« on: November 13, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »
Hi guys, been a while since I was on. Life is busy!!

My T/A tacho has not worked since I bought it.

I wear her the forum and found the thread that talks about using a test light to test the signal.

So I ran a lead fro. The battery-ve through a bulb to the tacho.

First time I wired In the feed which killed the motor. Second time I got the signal wire . Bulb was lit but changing the revs made no change to the light intensity.
I wired the tacho. Back up and tried the earth wire to various locations on the I argument cluster but still no joy.

It sits at 2000rpm and moves a tiny amount, usually dropping g down when you back off the throttle.

Any thoughts?

Kieran

Offline Kieranforinton

Re: Another Tach question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 01:54:47 PM »
Okay so I found a guy at work with a scope . We force  fed the tacho a selection of pulses and voltages to no avail.

So new questions.

Has anyone had their tacho successfully repaired

Has anyone found a replacement item that fits in the original cluster and runs off the standard feeds?

As always any help appreciated .

Thanks

Kieran

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 12:38:01 AM »
I built a custom carbon fiber gauge panel for someone a few years back This is the original (non gauge package) gauge pod with an Auto Meter tach that fit pretty well in it.

John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Kieranforinton

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 01:39:11 PM »
Hi not a ta,

Nice work. Looks awesome.

Thanks for the tip I will have a look at some automated gauges and what is available in the UK.

I will let you know how I get on!!

Kieran

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 02:43:38 PM »
Hi not a ta,

Nice work. Looks awesome.

Thanks for the tip I will have a look at some automated gauges and what is available in the UK.

I will let you know how I get on!!

Kieran

I didn't do that. That was the dash I was sent to work with. I built a carbon fiber "one of" dash panel for it. The only things used from that original was the hood section and thin aluminum panel surround bezel. Was a SEMA show car.

Here's the one I made.

John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Kieranforinton

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 07:10:19 AM »
Ahh, I see, apologies for my mistake.

Both the original and the carbon replica look much better than the unit in my car which appears to have been hand painted in black by a two year old.

I will be using the vinyl wrap to improve the look but need to sort the gauges first...

It's great to have a hobby😃.

Kieran

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 12:14:31 PM »
My car's more of a track car so I did a fake carbon sticker. It was an Esprit with no gauge package so I added aftermarket gauges and a factory tach with the clock switched out for my shift light. I really liked the interior when it was like the top pic but needed to install some serious safety equipment. Currently the car's apart and I'll make a new look for the dash panel.

John Paige

Dear Not A TA,