Author Topic: Sunvisor FIX! I did it!  (Read 2949 times)

Offline mjowanna

Sunvisor FIX! I did it!
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
Floppy Sunvisor Fix

I have found the ultimate fix for the f-body flappy sunvisor.  The problem is that there is not enough friction on the bare metal rod.  Don’t use electrical tape.  There is not enough friction on electrical tape - and the tape wads-up as you try to insert the rod into the visor.  Nothing has better friction than sandpaper.

Tape your sunvisor holder so that everything is masked other than the rod past the screw channel.  Spray the metal rod with contact cement - like what you use for a headliner.  Cover the contact cement with clean sand.  Let it dry.  Add another layer of spray contact cement and another layer of sand.  Let it dry.

It will now look like a sand popsicle and will be far too thick to insert into the visor.  Insert a new plastic visor bushing into the visor (if you need one). Gently roll the sanded rod in some 80 grit sandpape until the rod is thin enough to firmly fit being pressed through the plastic bushing and into the visor.  The bushing is held in place by the plastic lip on the bushing.  Don’t push so hard that you break the lip on the plastic bushing.  Rotate the rod back and forth as you press it into the sunvisor.  Tighten the visor screw.

It will be so tight you have to pull to move it.  But, it will move - but firmly with no more flop or slop.  No more droop.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:01:44 PM by mjowanna »

Offline Stringer

Re: Sunvisor FIX! I did it!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
Well, that is some ingenuity.....there is a simpler, better method though.

Run a plastic zip tie about 2 inches into the  sun visor channel --> Force the visor onto the mounting rod --> tighten the tension screw --> trim the excess zip tie.  Works perfectly. It provides a nice nylon bushing to rub against.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:21:08 PM by Stringer »