Author Topic: Partial Resto of my instrument cluster  (Read 909 times)

Offline UJSLOST

Partial Resto of my instrument cluster
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:08:41 PM »
I knew this thing had a few bulbs blown because the lights were dim in the instrument cluster.
So that was my initial job take it out and replace and clean the bulbs. After getting it out I thought what the heck I might as well see if I can get this darn clock working. The second hand works but the hour and min hands dont move. So while I had it apart I jumped on my trusty TA site AKA  Hitmans Pontiac Trans Am Forum! Found that usually just adding a little lubrication to the gears has fixed a few quartz clocks. Well not for me! Oh well I tried.

Anyhow I replaced the blown bulbs and cleaned the ones that were good. The reflection area thats light blue, I painted that gloss white, mainly to get a brighter cluster when the lights are on. Now its all back in the dash and all is working good, except the clock!!!!

I do have 1 question.  There was a wire that was coming out of the back of the cluster close to the speedo cable . When I went to reinstall it, I couldn't figure out how it was suppose to connect back so I pulled it a little to see if I could get a little slack and it just kept coming til I was holding the black wire in my hand. I either pulled it loose from where it goes or else it was never attached.  Anyone know where the heck this wire or what ever it is goes?

Does anyone have a instrument cluster wiring diagram? I notice my blinker bulbs dont work now either. Could just be a bad connection at the bulb. Ill check that in the day light later.
1979 Trans Am 301/350 w/ 2.73 posi  Silver on Red
1997 Mustang Gt Convertible Triple Black w/ 4.10s

Offline Wook

Re: Partial Resto of my instrument cluster
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:50:30 AM »
Could it be the fiber optic cable that goes to the ashtray???

Offline UJSLOST

Re: Partial Resto of my instrument cluster
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:21:42 AM »
ah I bet thats it. Ill get a picture of it up on here this afternoon.
1979 Trans Am 301/350 w/ 2.73 posi  Silver on Red
1997 Mustang Gt Convertible Triple Black w/ 4.10s