Author Topic: 81 Turbo T/A auto swap to ‘75 455 H.O. 4-speed  (Read 844 times)

Offline wcsmith

81 Turbo T/A auto swap to ‘75 455 H.O. 4-speed
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
Hi, I’m new to this forum, so if this has been asked or needs to be moved, I’m sorry.  I am restoring a 1981 Turbo T/A, but I swapped the auto transmission and turbo motor with a 1975 455 H.O. That we rebuilt with the Muncie 4-speed transmission.  Please don’t hate on me for swapping from the turbo to the 455  :).

My question is, has anyone made a similar swap and had the ability to use headers? I know it will be tight, but my concern is the clutch linkage and if I’ll be able to clear all of that.  I’m currently looking at some shorty headers, but wanted to ask for any thoughts/opinions before I made a purchase.

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance!

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
Re: 81 Turbo T/A auto swap to ‘75 455 H.O. 4-speed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
Hi. No hate for the swap, lots of guys dont like the 301t, but they can be made to run pretty good for what they are... & for a somewhat rare pace car i hope you at least keep the 301t if its original to the car, kills the resale value once its gone.

To answer your question, yes you can run full length headers with the 4-speed.  I use & suggest hedman #28150, they are excellent quality & install & fit great.  They are made to accept the 4 speed linkage, there are other brands out there but they are much more expensive.  Summit has the hedmans for the best price & free shipping.  Just follow the instructions with the headers, they are easy to install if done right, & are not a tight fit at all & after a few heat cycles retorque the bolts.  My hedmans are going on 10 years with the supplied paper gaskets & are leak free.  Also,  use a good 2.5" exhaust with an H or X pipe if possible & straight through mufflers, flowmasters are terrible for performance.  I like pypes race pros or dynomax ultraflo's. 
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's