Author Topic: installing fuel components need help  (Read 11694 times)

Offline warbirdta79

Re: installing fuel components need help
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2008, 08:04:13 PM »
so you dont use the pump mounted on the engine?
I took the restrictor plate off to give it a little more power. Lets keep that on the down low, its kinda illegal.

Offline lee01

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 08:34:18 PM »
so you dont use the pump mounted on the engine?
Not if I buy this kit. I will need to fabricate or buy a block off plate to install on the engine block.
Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4

Offline warbirdta79

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
i could just run the line to my mech pump on my engine correct, there would be no prob with that? and also does it matter where in the line the filter goes?
I took the restrictor plate off to give it a little more power. Lets keep that on the down low, its kinda illegal.

Offline lee01

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2008, 10:07:39 PM »
i could just run the line to my mech pump on my engine correct, there would be no prob with that? and also does it matter where in the line the filter goes?
The filter could be fitted anywhere. Only depend on the fuel filter type you get.

Yes you can run one line from the tank to the mech pump
Current project:
90 Mustang GT 5.0
10 STI Sportech
Last T/A's
1979 x 4

Offline warbirdta79

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2008, 10:56:45 PM »
ok, sounds good, i figured it wouldnt matter too much but i needed to ask

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2008, 10:38:40 AM »
Sorry it took a little longer than expected but here's the rest of my system setup....

Mechanical Fuel pump with -6AN to 1/4"NPT adapters which then run to 90 degree -6AN fittings

This is right under the driver's side door for easy access and also protects the fuel pump from debris that could cause damage

Here's how I routed the line to the outside of the frame rails - just followed the brake line...

Here's the only thing I'm not happy with, and it's due entirely to the fuel tank lines not being in the best of shape. The 3/8" rubber hose is clamped to 1/2 of a -6AN fitting which connects to a -6AN union and then a -6AN straight fitting to get me to -6AN line.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline warbirdta79

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 07:41:24 PM »
hey, it looks good enough and if it dont leak it dont leak. Im thinking about the 455 no, its on my mind a lot now. Sorry to get off topic but its dot a little work to do, and i need to extract a bolt that snapped off. where can I find bolts for  the engine stand so I can work on. And also seeing as how you have a 445 if i can have some tips to watch out for

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2008, 08:23:51 AM »
For the bolts for the engine stand, what I would do is match up the size and thread from your tranny bolts at a local hardware store to attach the stand to the tranny bolt holes. I like going overkill so if it were me I'd spring for the Grade 8 hardware - last thing I want is a bolt or two snapping when rotating the engine on a stand. Again, I'm into overkill when it comes to safety - especially after what happened with my dad's hand when we were moving around a block on a dolly (1 trip to the ER later).

As for my 455 - its a Pontiac block with Pontiac heads. It was a direct swap for my Pontiac 400 so absolutely no clearance issues. All my accessories, wiring and brackets moved from the 400 to the 455 as well.

PM Logikfive and SirLDragon on your Olds 455. Logikfive (Joe) is running an Olds 455 in his red 78 TA and SirLDragon is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this kind of thing. I *think* that as long as you run the short valve covers you won't have issues clearing the heater box. Ask those guys as they'll know more than I.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »
This is the upgrade we did last week on Rick's '66 C10 stepside with SBC 350:

The fuel pump had a 3/8" inverted flare fitting for the outlet and a 3/8" nipple for the inlet so we just slid the -6AN line onto the nipple and cinched it down with a hose clamp (not shown as the picture was taken mid project)...