Author Topic: Not running quite right.  (Read 794 times)

Offline 77tafrommo

Not running quite right.
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:04:22 PM »
Okay guys once again needing some expert advice. Got some issues with my new combo. Here are the specs. Stock 77 400 bottom end, 72cc eheads, RPM performer intake, stage II qjet from Sean Murphy, DUI HEI with custom curve, Comp hYD ROLLER CAM .502, .510 with 110 lobe seperation, Doug's Headers (with a leaky header gasket driver's side), Initial timing at 15 btdc pulling a total of 36 by about 3000 rpm. Trans is turbo 350 stage 1 shift kit and 2200 stall converter, with 2.41 gears.

Issues:
1) Seems to be idling rich having trouble eliminating with idle mixture screws.
2) was stumbling part throttle often popping through the carb (backfire).
3) yesterday still stumbling as part throttle is applied, but also began backfiring out the tailpipes.

Car seems to idle smooth set at about 750 in park and about 600 in gear. Go very well at WOT either from a dead stop or when rolling down the road.

I just pulled the plugs (New plugs with only about 100 miles on them). #1 heavy fouled, #3 brownish, #5 brownish, #7 heavy fouled, #2 brownish, #4 heavy fouled, #6 brownish, #8 brownish. Had gap at .055 reset to .045 and clean. Recheck firing order and wire routing. Entire ignition new and nad similar issues with old distributor, but car did run well either at WOT.

Going out now to replace the header gasket just looking for suggestions>
1977 TA Brentwood Brown

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: Not running quite right.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »
sounds like something in the dist. or ignition system,  thats where i would start with the system, carbs, after properlly set are pretty flawless....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....