Author Topic: Interior lights....  (Read 522 times)

Offline 60cyclehum

Interior lights....
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:10:50 AM »
OK, just got an '81 it was a turbo- has 400 now and lots of wires lying around. My gauges light up until the last light on the right of the speedo Lower interior door opening lights were working, now have stopped. Along with the trans light, fuel/volt light, heat/ac light, and any other lights that are supposed to work. When the headlight switch is all the way in, turning it does not turn on any lights, 1 & 2 clicks out they come on. I had fixed the trans light, but now have lost it again, when "all went dark" except for the above mentioned gauges. Where is the ground cluster for these lights? Also- put in new cig lighter, and it's not working, clock works. Been lying under the dash trying to follow wires, but when they end up in the wrapped up sections, they are hard to follow. Don't have a fuse chart for my car and the fuses are not readable, I've pulled quite a few and they were OK.  It's quite a mess under there, unused turbo/engine management wiring, no radio, so I'm sure lots of the wires are for that, and the heater /ac unit is not working whatsoever, so no help there. I get no dash warning lights when turning the key. High beam indicator works. Have rear defrost switch, but not the glass. Any ideas or locations to check?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Interior lights....
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:40:14 AM »
The first move would be to get a factory service manual for your car (which includes the wiring schematics)...pretty invaluable when you own one of these cars and start correcting problems created by previous owners.

Available here: http://www.78ta.com/store/product.php?productid=16172&cat=23&page=1
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 60cyclehum

Re: Interior lights....
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:52:59 AM »
Should have one arriving tomorrow, but I still think I'm going to have some tough going.