Author Topic: 1979 Trans Am value help  (Read 2324 times)

Offline ckpa

1979 Trans Am value help
« on: August 14, 2016, 09:03:32 PM »
  Hello everyone. We have a 1979 Trans Am  (black) that we have decided to sell and doing a search we found your forum. We are hoping you can help us with a value. It is a 1979 hardtop Trans Am. Mileage 57900. We were told it has a 403 engine. Paint job no longer original and the wheel rims are not the correct ones for this car. (They are honeycomb). Body in good shape. Interior : driver seat threads in vinyl seat opened slightly and there is a crack on the console lid. Exterior: the plastic insert under the front bumper has deteriorated and would need replaced.
  This car sits in storage and may come out a few times a year for a run  but only if the weather is nice. Kelly Blue Book puts it at around $20,000 but I am not sure what market conditions are.
  I will try to answer any questions that may come up as you try to help. I tried to upload pictures but am having no luck signing up for photo bucket but would email them to anyone if needed. Thank you!

Offline winks79

• Chad
Re: 1979 Trans Am value help
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »
Need pics for sure, but if it is not an SE car, no where near 20k. Not trying to hurt your feelings, but you can't go by any of the book values for real world pricing. Really nice, restored to original, or original, 403 cars sell for mid teens at most, unless it is an SE car. With no pics and by your description maybe 10k, really need to see it though. Could be less, if condition is worse than stated. I've seen some nice 400/4speed cars that only bring about 20k or so, and they usually bring about 4-5k more than 403 cars in the same condition.

Offline ckpa

Re: 1979 Trans Am value help
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:42:39 PM »
  Thanks so much for the input. I wish I could post pictures but I have no luck with photobucket (tried couple times). We have no idea what the market is so any help from others is greatly appreciated.