Author Topic: Dashligjts not working help please 79 trans am  (Read 1327 times)

Offline 1979redTransAm

Dashligjts not working help please 79 trans am
« on: May 01, 2016, 03:06:56 AM »
Hi everyone I recently changed my instrument cluster bulbs to led and got everything in minus the volts gas gauge as I put the last bulb in on the volt gauge it sparked and everything went out and I have checked fuse bulbs wires everything is fine and I know it getting power because they work and the brake light is on and won't go off I put stock bulbs back in hoping it would cure the problem and nothing still and I am sure my cluster board is good please help I need this fixed ASAP thank you

Offline Stringer

Re: Dashligjts not working help please 79 trans am
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »
You may have a ground short somewhere.  The gages and the volt/fuel gage lights have separate power leads routing back to one source, the ground for the entire dash however only has one source.  It is located on the driver's side next to the courtesy light under the dash.  You also need to have the large U shaped bracket, under the steering wheel, installed because the ground runs through it as well - if you don't you will have weird things going on. 

Here is a link to very thorough write up on the dash wiring. http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/harness/harness.htm

I hope you get it fix. Let us know what you find out.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:24:48 PM by Stringer »