Author Topic: '76  (Read 6729 times)

Offline OD_Simple

Re: '76
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »
4/6:  Removed rear bumper, tail light housings, nitrous line, loosened brake lines and fuel line (just waiting on fuel tank drop to remove brake and fuel lines completely).

"It shall not pass this way again."

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »
Have you considered making some wheel cribs? Ramps and jack stands make me nervous, stopped using them for most jobs many years ago.

John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline OD_Simple

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 11:14:39 PM »
I've seen those before on other build threads.  I'll end up making those too once I get the car back and start running hard lines, laying lizard skin on pan joints and what not after the media blast.

Definitely worth the time for sure.

Thanks again for another good bit on insight.

Offline OD_Simple

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 11:15:41 PM »
4/8:  Dropped gas tank, all fuel lines, brake lines, all wiring of 'back-half',
 trunk carpet, and rear plate holder -

Upon dropping the tank and pulling the trunk carpet I found one small rust hole in the trunk pan.  I'm very disappointed.  I didn't expect to find anything warranting metal repair.  I have a few options.  Option 1 would be to just patch it with option two being replacing the entire pan.

I flooded the trunk pan with brake cleaner to loosen up as much of the carpet glue and trunk tar as I could in preparation of what direction I decide to take tomorrow.  It's difficult to explain where the hole is but based on all aftermarket replacement pans I've seen for sale...I don't think those pans even 'cover' this section of the trunk where the hole resides.  I may have to have this hole patched in addition to biting the bullet and having the whole trunk pan replaced.

I'll pick up a few grinder wheels tomorrow and dig in to it after I remove the dashboard.

I took a ton of photos of the underside to send over to my sand blaster/metal repair/paint guy to give him an idea of what we're working with here but they are all close ups and not really worth posting on here/a forum.  Here are a few of the tank, lines, trunk and this damn rust hole.

The trunk pan seems super thin.  The bottom of it (looking at it from the bottom) is rust free.  Whatever rot developed originally originated from within; not from salt/water/exposure to the elements; old age is what did that pan in.

I foresee the grinder wheel only worsening the hole(s).  But, if the grinder does/did...sandblasting sure as well will too.

Overall I can't be too upset.  I spent a good 30 mins picking and poking under that car today.  No other MAJOR concerns looking forward to the blast.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:53:26 AM by OD_Simple »

Offline OD_Simple

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 11:16:34 PM »
4/9:  Removed Dash and all wiring -

Today a buddy of mine and I removed the Dashboard and all wiring from the car.  There is not a single wire/cable in that car any longer.  Other than a few clips and retaining cable braces it's as stripped as I can take it prior to handing it over.

I may remove the rear disk brake disks prior to handing it over depending on how that may or may not complicate the rear wheel spacing in the mini tubs.  I'd also like to remove the rear wheel spoilers too.

We worked for 7 hours straight making sure to disconnect every wire from its source in the dash; opting not to hack and cut wires like cavemen - as these tear downs usually end up turning in to.  It required a lot of patience and attention to detail.  Taking dashboards out from this generation requires going based on 'feel'.  You push, pull, tap and listen closely...listening to when those old clamps are either about to break, snap or properly break loose.

We didn't break a single tab, clip, clamp or anything.  Not a single bolt or nut as been misplaced or unidentified.  I'm extremely proud of this.

I didn't have enough time today to dig in to the trunk pan although I wanted to.  I simply ran out of day light.  Weather was perfect.  Couldn't have been happier with today's teardown.

Thank you for following.

Vape-Nayyschawn-

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:51:07 AM by OD_Simple »

Offline OD_Simple

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 11:40:11 PM »
Hey John,

Here are a few pics of the undercarriage so you have a better idea what we're working with (in reference to our PM).  I know it's difficult to know where each photo is/what each photo is of but most of these are of the same area and essentially of the same sections.  They are all of the rear section behind the rear axle...where the gas station mounts.  These are the primary areas I'm concerned that the blast will compromise.  I hadn't originally planned on digging this deep but since I'm here I don't know if I should go full force/go through with the sand/media blast or not?!

Offline OD_Simple

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
4/11 to 4/14:  The waiting game -

Nothing too significant to report; well nothing very positive at least.

- I removed the rear wheel spoilers, the rear Strange Disk Brake calipers and hardline.
- I wire wheeled spots of the rear trunk pan that would require patch work if I decide to go that route.
- I wire wheeled portions of the under trunk area and under (inside) tail section area as well.

Now I'm not a body guy but from what I can see and from what the trail of rust is telling me is that there are truly only three portions that would warrant patch work on the entire underside of that car (all surrounding the trunk pan to tail section panel seam).  From what I've read and researched from the help of a few fellow F-Body guys, and articles I've come across is that replacing the trunk pan, rear cross support and re-installing the tail panel is an extensive process yet common place for all 2nd gens. 

The silver lining in my case is that "if the tail panel is rusted...this ALWAYS warrants cross member replacement".  My tail panel however is in prefect condition (at least on the outside it is).  Even the interior lining to the bottom portion of the tail panel is in perfect condition.

I'm not opposed to paying for a complete new pan and cross member support/section if this is in fact needed but again I'm leaving that to the professionals before I start drilling out spot welds etc.  I do however think I may be able to get away with professional grade patch work/repair.

The other thing, and quite disappointing actually is that my Detroit Speed Engineering hydroformed powder coated front sub frame is delayed...and by a lot.  The lead time was originally 6-8 weeks.  It says this on the website.  I've called one time each week in week 3, 4, 5, and now 6.  I've been told time and time again that everything was on schedule.

So, yesterday I called D.S.E. (week 6) to check up on the status of the frame because my builder wants the car 1 week before the frame arrives for metal repair work and the t56 tunnel (my builder WAS going to pick up the car from my house on the 18th).  The 18th would have been exactly 7 weeks since I placed the order...essentially giving my builder one week plus 3 days shipping time.

Anyway, yesterday a D.S.E. representative told me that the frame rails...the actual freaking frame rails are not even MADE yet.  I'm not talking about not having been shipped to D.S.E. or just not powder coated...but they are not even MADE yet (D.S.E. outsources them).

He goes on to tell me that they are planning on the 28th now.  Then they get sent to D.S.E. for assembly with the cross member support.  Then it gets powder coated.  Then suspension, steering and final assembly gets completed.  Then it ships.  So it turns out that they are planning on mid or late MAY now PLUS SHIPPING!

So 6-8 weeks of lead time means nothing I guess.  More like 12 to 13 weeks.  I am not happy.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:46:31 AM by OD_Simple »

Offline OD_Simple

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
12/27:  Update

I haven't posted for a while.  Many delays.  I got the car back from media blasting.  I can't say I'm thrilled with the result.  I'm very happy with the undercarriage and interior.  I'm a little disappointed with the firewall, cowl, and trunk result.  I'll end up having to take a wire wheel to the firewall and cowl areas that I'm not happy with.