Author Topic: Hi Beam headlights stopped working  (Read 1689 times)

Offline OrangeCrush79

Hi Beam headlights stopped working
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:15:47 PM »
Hello Guys,
            I was wondering what could have caused my Hi Beam headlights to stop working. I was driving home one night from a car cruise in my 1979 Trans Am, and clicked my hi beams to avoid some deer. The headlights work on low beam but shut off when I pull on the turn signal stick on the column. Could it be the switch? how hard is it to replace? Everything worked fine before so it can"t be the wire connections. Thanks in advance.

Offline Stringer

Re: Hi Beam headlights stopped working
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 11:57:52 PM »
The high/low beam switch is bad. The switch is located toward the base of the steering column. There is a rod that runs the length of the column from the dimmer switch at the steering wheel to the high/low beam switch at the base. It's a cheap part, easy to replace. 30 minute job.

Offline OrangeCrush79

Re: Hi Beam headlights stopped working
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
Thanks Stringer!
         I had a feeling that it was the switch. I wanted to know before I started to take the column apart. I really hate disassembling something and find that it wasn't the culprit. Also to buy the part and find out that the one in the car is still good. Thanks so much for your help.   John W.