Author Topic: Time for a new heater core???  (Read 2904 times)

Offline 1980MNT/A

• 1980 - WS6, L37, CC1, Tahoe Blue, Camel Cloth
Time for a new heater core???
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:35:13 AM »
The other day I started to notice the tell tale sign of antifreeze dripping on the passenger side front floor mat of my 1980 (w/ A/C).  I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, but from previous expirience and from searching the forum, I'm guessing it is the heater core.  I read over Hitman's online repair guide on the subject and it seems to be a time consuming, but not overly difficult task.

What I am curious about is where did you buy and what brand heater core and blower motor (which I read should be replaced if you have the dash apart) have people had good luck with in the past.  The major part suppliers all seem to be within about $5 to $10 of each other on both parts.  Also, beside the actual core and blower motors, is there anything else that I should replace while I am in there?

Thanks in advance for the information and any helpful tips would be appriciated too!
Bill

2019 Ford F-150 XLT - 4x4
2013 Ford Flex Limited - AWD, EcoBoost
1994 Chevrolet K1500 - Ext Cab, Short Box

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
Re: Time for a new heater core???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:40:02 AM »
i bought mine from auto zone. never have had any problems with any heater core from there ever.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline DEEZPAZ

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »
I just bought my heater core from autozone for about $25 but haven't installed it.  Prob get the motor once I get the fender off.

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:10:53 AM »
i do also have one that was new that i ended up pulling back out of a car when i chose to kill it rather than save it.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
All the heater cores I've seen have been made in Mexico.  That leads me to believe they all come from the same factory...but I'm guessing.  Change the blower motor at the same time as well as the hoses.

They can be tricky to get back in.  Focus on the top heater core tube.  That needs to clear before you can really push the studs through.

Eunan and I pulled one out of a camaro last weekend.  For some reason I couldn't find the lower stud towards the drivers side coming through the firewall.  We undid all the other nuts off the studs and took everything off from the inside and pulled the heater box.  It turns out, the heater core had been replaced but whoever did the work couldn't line up all the studs, so that one stud was bent back on itself and never connected.  Also, the ground line wasn't connected.  It was pretty clear that the core was leaking.

We replaced the heater core in Eunan's Y88 last week.  I have to admit, it took some wiggling and choice cuss words to get the box reinstalled.  The right cuss words are the key!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:38:30 PM by ta78w72 »

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:06:23 PM »
When i replaced my heater core i already had my inner fender off and it was still a pain in the butt.  Getting it out was easy.  Putting it back in was a little tricky.  Good luck.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
this is by far the worst job on a bird.  take off the hood ,fender and pass side seat make the job seem easier. 
have fun.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
Just pull the inner wheel well.  I would never pull the hood and fender.  It would take me ten days to get the fender realigned!!!  

In fact, you don't really need to pull the inner wheel well.  Just loosen the bolts and stick a 2x4 in between the inner wheel well and the firewall.  You just need a little access to get the net nut off the stud and to pull the lower hose off.

No matter how many short cuts there are....it's still a tough job.  If 4speed says it's the worst job....you know it has to be bad.  I figure 4speed can do just about anything on these cars.

Eunan has another Trans Am that's leaking at the heater core.  We'll address that in a few weeks.  I've done four of these so far....and counting.

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:00:31 PM »
This job blowz! Just take your time and take pics to reference when reassembling everything
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline 1980MNT/A

• 1980 - WS6, L37, CC1, Tahoe Blue, Camel Cloth
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 12:48:48 AM »
Great guys!  Thanks for all of the advise and tips!  I went out to AutoZone and purchased the heater core and blower motor the other day, so all I need now is to find the time.

I have a feeling this will take pretty much the entire winter!  I have new carpet and some other interior "freshening up" I need to do, so I think I will be doing most of that also, since I need to take so much apart just to get to the heater core!

I can't wait!  I will keep you all posted!

Thanks again guys!
Bill

2019 Ford F-150 XLT - 4x4
2013 Ford Flex Limited - AWD, EcoBoost
1994 Chevrolet K1500 - Ext Cab, Short Box

Offline akdonkey

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
I must replace mine in my car, I am in the process of looking for me a dash cover. I plan to take the whole dash out to put on the dashcover so I will replace my core then. I got a few wiring problems with my dash lights that I will look into then. I have replaced a heater core in one once long ago. It is a pain...

Offline Y82

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 01:28:27 PM »
I bought a heater core from Rock Auto.  It was a Genuine GM part that looked EXACTLY like the core I took out... which, God willing, I will never have to do again.  $45.  Cost a bit more than an aftermarket part from the local auto parts store but I am weird about originality.
'76 LE 455 4-Speed, '77 SE T/A-6.6, '79 SE 6.6 Litre

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
I bought a heater core from Rock Auto.  It was a Genuine GM part that looked EXACTLY like the core I took out... which, God willing, I will never have to do again.  $45.  Cost a bit more than an aftermarket part from the local auto parts store but I am weird about originality.

With the amazing cars you own I would be weird about originality also! 

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 06:26:58 PM »
I never thought about it but mine took about an hour or so but my hood was off and I had already taken my dash off a million times so I knew how to do it fast and the swap of parts is easy. I took my dash out. There was a bolt on the firewall that tricked me. Didnt know it was there and hard to get to. I removed the bolt on inner fender wheel well and pushed it back and held in place with a board wrapped in rags. Cut my arms up reach for the bolts. Also had air tools.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403