Author Topic: Hello! What causes a front bumper gap like this?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline PJay

Hello! What causes a front bumper gap like this?
« on: July 31, 2018, 02:43:18 PM »
Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum. I'm a long time 'vette guy, but I've always missed the '78 Trans Am that was in our family from 1979 to 1995 (Mayan Red over black deluxe interior, WS6 auto). I've always thought of buying another some day, so I'm always checking out T/A's online.

I noticed this car on ebay. I'm not really interested in buying it, but I am curious as to why the gap at the top of the front bumper is so wide, on a car that otherwise looks good. Just trying to educate myself. Is this easily fixable?

No offense intended if this happens to be your car!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Pontiac-Trans-Am/183351067023?hash=item2ab093418f:g:HekAAOSw-8BbXoAp&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:48:34 PM by PJay »

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: Hello! What causes a front bumper gap like this?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
Just an opinion but the bumper to fender gap should be tight...not sure why this one isn't

Sometimes on unrestored hurting units with missing support brackets, it will sag and pull away like that because they mount with 2 or 3 stud like fasteners on a tin strip closer to the inside of the fender flange. The plastic loses its original shape and will slightly pull leaving a gap...but that is on older, in need of love kinda of situation.
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
Re: Hello! What causes a front bumper gap like this?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
the 74-76 t/a's had a seperate bumper & nose, so its common for the bumper to nose gap to be wider on those years, but this one seems a little bigger than most ive seen.  likely due to the builder not adjusting it right or bad studs/bolts on the bumper.  78-81 are much easier to line up than the 74-76, plus the bumpers on those years weigh a ton!

also notice bad alignment of the front wheel flares to valance, & it has the wrong rims, snowflakes didnt come out untill 77.
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's