Author Topic: '79 10th Anniversary T/A "freshening up" started!  (Read 177870 times)

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: '79 10th Anniversary T/A "freshening up" started!
« Reply #270 on: February 23, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »
Is 10:1 an ideal goal for pump gas?
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #271 on: February 23, 2010, 12:23:49 PM »
i can run 91 no problem in it. the factory compression on the '02 camaro and firebird's, for example, with the LS1, had 11:1 compression from the factory. those cars ran on 91 or higher octane per the owner's manual requirements. most cars these days have higher compression but still can run on pump gas (91 or higher). most people don't read the owner's manual when they buy a new car and just fill it up with 87 and then complain of "engine noise" at the dealer. take the Mini coopers or the little Smart cars for example- they require you put 91 or higher in them due to high compression.
-Billy

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #272 on: February 23, 2010, 05:23:44 PM »
I am soo jealous lol
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #273 on: February 23, 2010, 08:14:12 PM »
really? i thought you had to be at 9.5:1 or less. can you email me a break down of what you have going on in there so i know what to do with the good old 455 i have to get done.
ittakesmoney @ yahoo.   com without the spaces of course to avoid spam bots.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2010, 06:52:44 AM »
really? i thought you had to be at 9.5:1 or less. can you email me a break down of what you have going on in there so i know what to do with the good old 455 i have to get done.
ittakesmoney @ yahoo.   com without the spaces of course to avoid spam bots.
 i can send you the build sheet, but it will differ from car to car depending on what you want. JB performance is widely known for thier work and i wanted a bad a** engine that could hang with a new 'vette while being a turn key set-up. they can take a factory engine and make internal changes leaving the outside appearing the same like what KeePat did on his '72. only problem there is you're limited to what kind of H/P numbers it will do. being an ex-GM tech i could've put it together myself, but i'm a firm beleiver in letting a "pro" do a job. that project i didn't want to have to guess on anything you know ;)
  plus, with the fuel injection i went with, i couldn't have relyed on a "service manual" to tune it. basically it's a slippery slope if you know what i mean LOL. it all depends on what you want out of the project.
-Billy

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2010, 06:56:33 AM »
 :-X  ooops, well i just realized i let the cat out of the bag. i was gonna surprise everyone with pics, but yes, the it's fuel injected  >:D  ;D
-Billy

Offline turdbrown79

« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »
 BTW snap on billy

the ls1 only had 10.1:1
 the ls6 had 10.5:1
 the lt1 had 10.5:1
 the lt4 had 10.8:1

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »
:-X  ooops, well i just realized i let the cat out of the bag. i was gonna surprise everyone with pics, but yes, the it's fuel injected  >:D  ;D

looks like us here in the dc metro area want the nice luxury of a fuel injected ls motor......you and i have what seems to be the same plans for drivetrain.....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2010, 04:49:44 AM »
Sounds like an awesome engine, for an awesome car :) Did you use a original block for it? or did you go all out with an aftermarket block?
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2010, 06:44:45 AM »
:-X  ooops, well i just realized i let the cat out of the bag. i was gonna surprise everyone with pics, but yes, the it's fuel injected  >:D  ;D

looks like us here in the dc metro area want the nice luxury of a fuel injected ls motor......you and i have what seems to be the same plans for drivetrain.....
  i've always wanted a fuel injected older pontiac. i'm a big fan of classic with a modern twist. it will be nice to take it to dinner in the winter and not have to wait for it to warm up ;)
what year car do you have?
-Billy

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2010, 06:51:07 AM »
Sounds like an awesome engine, for an awesome car :) Did you use a original block for it? or did you go all out with an aftermarket block?

thanks- i can't wait to see it when it shows up! yes i did use the OE block, although thats about the only OE part left haha. it's been bored and stroked, so if i ever wanted to use all the OE parts again, i'd just have to replace the top end and leave the bottom end untouched.
  Butler has been doing these stroker jobs for people who want more power out of the "factory" engine. cool idea, i just took it a step further. i'm still gonna have the shaker on the engine, and the new drop base air cleaner housing will pretty much cover up the fuel injection lines and throttle body. it will still have a factory "look", using all the OE accessories. the main differances will be the edlbrock heads and the headers if i choose to go with them.
-Billy

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2010, 10:38:50 AM »

i've always wanted a fuel injected older pontiac. i'm a big fan of classic with a modern twist. it will be nice to take it to dinner in the winter and not have to wait for it to warm up ;)
what year car do you have?

mines a 79/80/81 kind of a custom mutt......ttops came out of an 81, i didnt like the single front speaker so the cowl came out of an 80 as well as some of the 1/4s.....hahahaha i am really interested in seeing yours...... where in nova are you
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2010, 02:50:47 PM »
i'm in Fairfax county
-Billy

Offline SnapOnBilly

Re: '79 10th Anniversary T/A "freshening up" started- THE ENGINE IS DONE! woohoo
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2010, 05:49:39 PM »
   got some pics from JB Perf today. it's shipping out next week and on it's way!!! very pleased with the "look".
engine1
engine2
engine3
engine4
engine5
i asked them to paint the Edelbrock intake and aftermarket oil pan to match the block (they usually leave it bare) and it turned out awsome! i LOVE that blue painted intake! makes it look totally differant than most that come out of there...
engine6
engine7
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:51:53 PM by SnapOnBilly »
-Billy

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »
I know it's just an engine but...that sure is pretty  ;D
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette