Author Topic: '79 10th Anniversary T/A "freshening up" started!  (Read 177888 times)

Offline SnapOnBilly

Re: '79 10th Anniversary T/A "freshening up" started!
« Reply #555 on: May 04, 2010, 05:26:53 PM »
i decided to go with Eastwood's chasis black in the satin finish on the bottom. i ordered it today to use as a top coat over the rust encapsulator. when it's done i will do some kind of bedliner in the rear wheel wells for protection there.
-Billy

Offline TxBandit

« Reply #556 on: May 04, 2010, 11:57:33 PM »
the only thing i'm pondering now is should i do another coat with the chassis black gloss? this is a matte finish. i accidently ordered 3 cans of the gloss. wonder how it would look? what do you guys think?

It's probably a little too late now but I say go gloss black! That's what I did and I love it.....

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:39:07 AM by TxBandit »
1980 S/E

James

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #557 on: May 05, 2010, 01:05:19 AM »
HOLY SHINY,
but anyways billy do you have a free night or something I can come over and see your car? I need to see how some things are mounted i keep looking at pictures but cant for the life of me get it right....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #558 on: May 05, 2010, 06:34:42 AM »
whoa! that is way shiney!!! i don't even think my rattle can of gloss would do that! very differant- looks cool!
-Billy

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #559 on: May 05, 2010, 06:37:10 AM »
HOLY SHINY,
but anyways billy do you have a free night or something I can come over and see your car? I need to see how some things are mounted i keep looking at pictures but cant for the life of me get it right....
free night hmmmm? lately i've been stuck with meeting after meeting in the evenings for work. hard to do right now and NOT have the wife pissed at me for not being around haha. in the mean time, let me know whats giving you trouble and i can go out there and take some detailed photos for ya (if i don't already have them)
-Billy

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #560 on: May 05, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
HOLY SHINY,
free night hmmmm? lately i've been stuck with meeting after meeting in the evenings for work. hard to do right now and NOT have the wife pissed at me for not being around haha. in the mean time, let me know whats giving you trouble and i can go out there and take some detailed photos for ya (if i don't already have them)

well right now its the brake line on the rear axle, ive looked at how yours is mounted over and over, but mine seems to not fit right....also since you are close and have easy access what size is the brake booster for that car? trying to think if there is anything else?, right now i think thats my major snag
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #561 on: May 05, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »
did you get a new brake line, or are you bending your own? if you're bending your own, it can be a real pain in the a$$. i can send more pics of the rear for comparison if you need them. as far as the booster goes, i don't know what "size" it is. it's the factory unit that came on the car.
-Billy

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #562 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:47 PM »
Holy cow that is shiny.  Looks good to me.  I used flat on mine and should have gone to something with a little more shine.  The flat holds the dirt more than a gloss does.  I used semigloss on the frame and thought it would stand out better if the underside was flat.  That was my reasoning anyways. 

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #563 on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:19 PM »
the March kit showed up today. the pieces are amazing! very high quality machining and finish. i originally wanted to powder coat black, but i may just stay with the original clear powder coat, since it looks real good. not sure yet, i'll install it and see what i think...
  this is the only thing i don't care for in the kit. it's the main bracket that everyting bolts to. it's a fine piece, it's just not very "subtle". however, when it's installed in the car and you're looking down on it, you don't see very much of it.
restoration pics 347
 oh and i have to swap out the water pump to the Edelbrock unit that comes in the kit.... sigh  :-[. i really didn't want to have to wrench on the brand new engine...
restoration pics 346
-Billy

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #564 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:44 PM »
That thing looks cool!!!

It will look awesome in front of that engine
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #565 on: May 06, 2010, 04:08:44 AM »
I think it looks awesome :) And this will be one hell of a car when it's done :)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #566 on: May 06, 2010, 06:54:22 AM »
i knew you guys would say that  ::). i just think it looks to futuristic for the car, but whatever, it's my only option.
-Billy

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #567 on: May 06, 2010, 07:35:01 AM »
If it's your only option, then you can't complain about it :P  ;) I really likee what you've done with the car :) Maybe I'll do the same with my TATA in a few years ;) can't afford it right now
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #568 on: May 06, 2010, 08:07:49 AM »
the March kit showed up today. the pieces are amazing! very high quality machining and finish. i originally wanted to powder coat black, but i may just stay with the original clear powder coat, since it looks real good. not sure yet, i'll install it and see what i think...
  this is the only thing i don't care for in the kit. it's the main bracket that everyting bolts to. it's a fine piece, it's just not very "subtle". however, when it's installed in the car and you're looking down on it, you don't see very much of it.
restoration pics 347
 oh and i have to swap out the water pump to the Edelbrock unit that comes in the kit.... sigh  :-[. i really didn't want to have to wrench on the brand new engine...
restoration pics 346

You should look into the "Sharkskin" Its a clear rub on sealer so you can keep the metal look. I saw it on Two Guys Garage a few weeks ago. It protects the bare metals and keeps it looking great.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline SnapOnBilly

« Reply #569 on: May 06, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »
nah, i wanted the factory color on it
-Billy