Author Topic: What am I missing?  (Read 524 times)

Offline tazweb

What am I missing?
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »
I finally have my engine in the car and ran the new wire harnesses I bought from Classic Industries.  I ran a fusable link from the positive terminal to the wire on the alternator.  The interior has power now.  I have the positive cable connected to the large post on the starter solenoid.  I HAD the purple wire (from the harness) connected to the small post on the right (if you are looking at the front of the engine).  When I turned the key it seemed like it was spinning the alternator.  I could see the wires flinch when I turned the key.  I switched the purple wire to the other post and get nothing when I turn the key.  My wife isn't home yet, so I'm not exactly sure the starter isn't running and just not engaging the flywheel.  I'm not sure what else to try.  I have looked at other threads and get a little confused as to what others have done.

If I had the purple wire in the right place, at the beginning, what would be causing the starter to not engage the flywheel?  I am getting tired of all these stupid little things that keep popping up.
Yes, it is a 79 Y84 SE.  It's in disguise as a base T/A.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: What am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »
if it was spinning the alternator then it was turning over the engine right? otherwise it could just be your starter needs a spacer?  or bad starter and not allowing it to engage the flywheel...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....