Author Topic: GOLD PAINT  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Rob R.

GOLD PAINT
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »
I NOTICED CLASSIC INDUSTRIES SELLS THE GOLD PAINT FOR THE SNOWFLAKE WHEELS AT ABOUT $46.00 PER CAN. I ASSUME YOU WILL NEED AT LEAST 2 OR 3 CANS TO REFINISH 4 WHEELS. WOULD I BE BETTER OFF BUYING THE PAINT AND HAVING THEM DONE BY A PAINTER? I HAVE A FRIEND WHO SHOULD BE ABLE TO SPRAY THEM FOR ME.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Re: GOLD PAINT
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:36:39 PM »
I buy the gold paint from a Paint store and it is about $48 for two pints (I think) and I can refinish about 8 or 10 sets with that.  I have never tried the gold paint from Classic so I can't comment on it.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Rob R.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 06:53:54 PM »
THANKS HITMAN. I ALWAYS APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION YOU AND ALL THE MEMBERS PROVIDE.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:20:06 PM »
I bought the spray paint from classic because I don't have access to a sprayer.  Two cans should do nicely.  And one can of clearcoat.  You should be able to apply two coats.  That's the easy part.  The hard part is masking the machined edges (unless you have the all gold 1978 15X8's...then you only mask the edge).  I apply masking tape to the edges and trim them with an exacto knife.  It's tedious but well worth the effort.  The wheels come out great.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:17:07 PM »
I bought the spray paint from classic because I don't have access to a sprayer.  Two cans should do nicely.  And one can of clearcoat.  You should be able to apply two coats.  That's the easy part.  The hard part is masking the machined edges (unless you have the all gold 1978 15X8's...then you only mask the edge).  I apply masking tape to the edges and trim them with an exacto knife.  It's tedious but well worth the effort.  The wheels come out great.

most of the time that clear in a can stuff is junk...i dont like to use it cause its always given me a hazy look on the paint....i would rather spray bomb the paint then go and professionaly lay down the clear....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....