Author Topic: Airshows  (Read 9163 times)

Offline oscardeuce

Airshows
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »
Who likes them?

What do you like, and what would you like to see?

I can usually be seen at shows around Ohio with my other bird, the O2-A.

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
Re: Airshows
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »
Wife used to work for Red Baron Pizza , used to do the airshows in cleveland and dayton .  With the bi planes

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:47:03 PM »
I'd like to see the blue angles ,and also an F22 Raptor

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:49:07 PM by RainMan »

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:47:20 PM »
gotta work at Andrews' show this weekend, which is preventing me from meeting up with the guys in ohio.... and im not even doing anything important
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:15:18 PM »
I've been to a bunch, seen the T-Birds and the Blue Angels, one of coolest things I ever saw was a flyover of all the Grumman "Cats" called "the Flight of the Cats", there was a Hellcat, Bearcat, Tigercat, Wildcat, and the f-14 Tomcat. you could hear the f-14 feathering the throttle to keep pace with the slower planes, then at mid field pulled it straight up and hit the afterburners!
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline CT Bird Fan

• Dave
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:00:38 PM »
Although I love air shows and warbirds (especially WWII) I have not been to a show in over ten years!

I do try to take my son to the New England Air Museum here in CT at least once a year though, I really enjoy it!!

Gone but not forgotten - 1979 Formula, 1980 Esprit.

Being birdless sucks!

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 06:21:17 AM »
I go to the TICO airshow in Titusville, FL every spring.  One of the largest in the southeast.  There's usually everything there and it's a three day event.  I actually like the A-10 ... it's slower but it's sort of like a tank in the sky.  They usually have a jet (F15/16/22) rip by at just under subsonic speed when you least expect it.

I'd like to see some personally owned F-14s show up in the coming years.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:17:55 AM »

Are there any?  I thought the government refursed to sell any of them and instead shredded them after disarming.  F-14's are my favorite. Something to do with Top Gun, I suppose.

I remember a recent article about an aviaton museum suing the government because the gov refused to sell them a Tomcat, instead opting to destroy it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:20:08 AM by kentuckyyeti »

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:39:29 AM »
Oklahoma City used to have a KILLER airshow, but I don't know if they do it anymore.

Meanwhile here are some pics of the United States Air Force Museum, in, oddly enough, Dayton Ohio.

Gunner

Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55:33 PM »
I haven't heard of any but I think they'll show up in five/ten years or so.  Someone will get one or two and then they'll refurbish a couple from the Arizona desert.  It'll happen.

I just think the gov't realizes that the F-14 is a capable machine in today's world even though it's retired.  Imagine if you had one up and running - you'd be doing better than the Iranian gov't was with them.

Are there any?  I thought the government refursed to sell any of them and instead shredded them after disarming.  F-14's are my favorite. Something to do with Top Gun, I suppose.

I remember a recent article about an aviaton museum suing the government because the gov refused to sell them a Tomcat, instead opting to destroy it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:58:57 PM by jphillips3333 »
John

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 05:48:24 PM »

Are there any?  I thought the government refursed to sell any of them and instead shredded them after disarming.  F-14's are my favorite. Something to do with Top Gun, I suppose.

The Wings of Eagles museum has one that supposedly the one Tom Cruise "flew" in Top Gun,
http://www.wingsofeagles.com/collection.cfm
they used to have the plane from the movie Memphis Belle but sold it to a NYC museum.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline oscardeuce

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »
It would take an act of Congress to get a private F-14 in the air.

I flew the Tico airshow in 2004.

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:35:38 PM »
Agreed - the F-14 isn't a tomorrow's private plane at all.  That said, people fly F-86 Sabres - that's kerosene and Korean war vintage.  Perhaps F-14s are 20 years out - point is, they will get to the air show in private hands.

Oscar, I recall your aircraft - usually formation flying with T-6's?  I've a 1974 Piper Chieftan for sale if you know of anyone looking for one ...
John

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
The Wings of Eagles museum has one that supposedly the one Tom Cruise "flew" in Top Gun,
http://www.wingsofeagles.com/collection.cfm
they used to have the plane from the movie Memphis Belle but sold it to a NYC museum.

I thought the Memphis Belle was on display at Mud Island, in Memphis?  I have pictures of it from back in 2002 -- it was there then... ??? ??? ???

Offline oscardeuce

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »
The original belle is now at the USAF museum undergoing restoration

The movie Belle is owned by the late David Tallichet