Author Topic: wiring mix up from battery??  (Read 25837 times)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: wiring mix up from battery??
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2008, 09:34:46 AM »
The wiper information is in the body manual not the service manual.  There's a whole trouble shooting section...but save yourself some time and replace it.

Offline medicman

« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2008, 03:31:47 PM »
I am looking at changing the whole wiper system to a pulse wiper system. The other car I bought has pulse so I amgoing to look into changing it over if its not too hard.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »
Be careful.  There are two types of pulse wipers.  The switches are different for the two types.  I forget what year they changed but I think it was 1980...but don't quote me on that.

The 78/79 had a wiper switch that had seven wires while the later switch had five.  Note in the picture, the switch on the left is the later version.  Four of the wires are the same on both switches.  However, the timing circuit is different.  On the later switch there's only a green resistance wire.  On the 78/79 switch there's the power circuit that's part of the timing harness.  These switches are not interchangeable. 

The wiper unit itself is different also.  So, you need to make sure you get the correct unit for your car.

In addition, the pump is located along with the motor on the pulse systems.  Check your washer bottle to see if it has a pump in it.  If so, you'll need to swap washer bottles and you may have to reroute the wiring from the pump in the washer bottle to the pump on the wiper motor.

The harness is routed from the pulse system down through the firewall along with the tach wire.  You should see the entry point near the bottom of the firewall on the drivers side.  Although I have seen some pulse systems that enter through a hole in the firewall directly behind the carburetor.  Don't cut the wires.  You should be able to get them out by unplugging them at the motor and switch and popping out the grommet in the firewall.

The picture was too large to post...sorry.

Offline medicman

« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2008, 04:50:20 PM »
Good to know that piece of advice, I do know that the washer pump is on the wiper, on the other car and it is the same way on my car.

I was planning on pulling all the wiring out of the other car and putting it in my car.

I am going to test it first in the other car to make sure it works before doing anything.