Author Topic: Problems..  (Read 13127 times)

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: Problems..
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:24 AM »
I hope you can get the Problem tracked down...You will be able to concentrate on your studies with less interuption

keep us posted
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 10:57:32 AM »
He wants $160 to rebuild alternator.. Not doing that. Going to get my own brand new for cheaper than that...

Also what's your guys experience with the Ron Francis kit as opposed to the Painless or M and H kits?
This Ron Francis online store seems really nice. I sent them an email with all I need to do, and hopefully they can help me out as far as fixing my wiring situation. Considering a lot of other things that they do offer. Seems pretty nice.

I bought a 140A alt for less than that and installed it myself. It allows future upgrades to my stereo system - running an aftermarket headunit and 600W 4 channel amp right now with plans to add a sub & amp later. For as simple a fix as this is, I'd do it myself.

I have no experience with Ron Francis. A good website does not make a good product or customer service. You can have a stellar website presence and an abomination of a product. I'd stick with M&H as its truely a drop in replacement - I have all the underhood harnesses they offer installed on my Y88 and will be going back to them when I am at that point on the 80 firebird. I think I had all the harnesses swapped under the hood in under 2 hours - yes its that simple and the first time I had ever done anything like that.

As for Painless - its not as "painless" as they make it out to be if you haven't done wiring before. Its a generic kit you get to terminate yourself so I'd stear you away from that product until you have a few wiring projects under your belt.

Its ultimately your choice though where you spend your $$. I remember being in college and scrimping for cash so I hear you on the cost savings...but what does your lost time arguing with customer service/tech support amount to??

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »
I'll copy and paste my email and rons response when I get home. Using iPhone now.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
"Our EXPRESS wiring is our most popular model for your application.  The EXPRESS is a very small fuse panel and the part number for the complete wiring system is XP-768.  It has all of the wiring needed to pass most state inspections, fire the engine, gauges, third brake lights, room for A/C. P/Ws. P/Ls. Stereo Radio memory for digital systems and all the toys you might want to add and then some. We can usually ship in a couple days.    I am here if you have questions and I try to reply quickly. This is a custom harness and uses far better materials and has a different appearance to the stock spaghetti.

EXPRESS Series
WE CAN BUILD ANY COMBINATIONS OF THE COMPONENTS MENTIONED BELOW and MORE!
Small and Big V8 engines
Alternator types: GM Built in regulator or, One wire
Distributor: Points, HEI, MSD, Aftermarket
Connectors for stock ignition switches or our IS-02 dash switch, GM column mounted
Gauges: Stock clusters or any Aftermarket.
Turn signal switches: Stock columns, GM (includes 3 7/8 &4 1/4 inch connectors) aftermarket models also
"New" GM head light switch provided.
All fuse box connections for fuel injection GM or aftermarket
"New Power Junction block provided.  Allows multiple battery feed
connections to be made without over loading the starter solenoid stud.

Includes back-up and side marker light wiring.
Electric Cooling Fan wiring included.

XP-768......$429.95"

"REPLY
The flicker is the circuit breaker tripping due to an over load. Aftermarket headlight bulbs require a relay on them  Our HR-56 (single relay) or HR-58 (twin relays) are best.

By the way, I plan on using an aftermarket Alpine stereo soon, so I need my harness to work with that as well. Also, does your harness actually cover everything?

There is always something that is not covered so I cannot answer that with a yes and be sure without inspecting your car. If you have motorized headlight covers, no they re not included.  Yes, it will wire a car so you can drive down the road. and your lights work.

I also plan on installing a kill switch, an aftermarket alarm system and new aftermarket in dash gauges for my car sometime in the future, so I need a good setup for those as well. My car has power windows, pulse wipers, originally had a/c but no longer in car, a heater, blower motor, Olds 350, but plan on getting a pontiac 400.

Our EXPRESS wiring will work great.  Order the optional dash gauge wiring kit so the aftermarket gauges will be easier to install.

Ive got a dome light,

See our EX-7 and EX-9 interior light wiring kits

4 4x6 angel eye headlights that use the three prong adapter instead of my stock two prong socket.

Dual headlight wiring and I suggest the HR-58 relay system

I also have a dimmer switch on the floor for headlight hi/lo functionality.

Standard

Id like to install an under hood light as well as a trunk light.

See our TS-15 automatic light for both ends of the car.

"

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/pr/2009/09ronfrancismay2/

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AC-66

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:33:09 PM by Anastasiofan92 »

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »
i would just order a stock replacement ! then all you have to do is plug them in and go
She's a Winner

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 10:37:40 PM »
Yeah except with this there are way more features it seems but i dont know

The more I think about it the more I think I'll go M and H...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:17:21 AM by Anastasiofan92 »

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »
With the Ron Francis system you'll basically be tossing out the entire wiring harness for the car and starting from scratch. If that's something that you need or appeals to you AND you feel you have the necessary electronic skills for troubleshooting the wiring then by all means go for it.

Going off your other posts, I'd still stay clear of this system. I'd save the $$ and drop in a M&H harness as your funds allowed. That's how I did it....purchased 1 harness at a time.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »
With the Ron Francis system you'll basically be tossing out the entire wiring harness for the car and starting from scratch. If that's something that you need or appeals to you AND you feel you have the necessary electronic skills for troubleshooting the wiring then by all means go for it.

Going off your other posts, I'd still stay clear of this system. I'd save the $$ and drop in a M&H harness as your funds allowed. That's how I did it....purchased 1 harness at a time.

Yeah I understand. When they say engine harness do they mean battery cables, starter, alternator, a/c, heater, everything, blower motor or what?

Offline SavingTheBird76

• Adv. Member
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 04:17:05 PM »
HAVE YOU SMOKED A MUSTANG TODAY?

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 04:28:33 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »
Pictures, Yes I know its dirty, because I've yet to spend money on the engine compartment. Will be soon though.

That hard wire that runs over the intake manifold is for the aftermarket oil pressure gauge by the way. Seems weird to run something like that over the manifold, but I dont know anything about this stuff so..

This is the alternator that WAS in my car

Let me know what you guys think that smell could be. Also, if I should look into a new harness or not for the engine.. By the way, I'm probably going to build a Pontiac 400 after all this crap is said and done, so is it possible to get an Olds 350 Harness and later use it again for the Pontiac 400?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:41:28 PM by Anastasiofan92 »

Offline SavingTheBird76

• Adv. Member
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »
All your wires have been rigged together.
Buy replacement harness's and get the wires to be one piece.
You cant splice all those wires together and not expect problems when they get hot or wet.
you'll need an electrician to check resistance on every circuit if you want to fix your problem.
I would buy a complete set of wires and rewire everything.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 05:42:29 PM »
What about the Olds 350 to Pontiac 400 question I mentioned in my last post at the end after the pictures?

Offline SavingTheBird76

• Adv. Member
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »
The basic wiring would be the same,except some branches may be longer or shorter depending on where the temperature sender,oil pressure gauge etc are located.
The wires should be one piece from the fuse block to the final connection.
Wires can run together as long as they are the same thickness,and don't pull too much power from the fuse block.
If you try to splice in gauges to a higher gauge wire,like a battery connection for your stereo amp,your going to overload the gauge and burn something up.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 06:12:32 PM »
When you say run together, you mean, just grouped together in a loom or something like that?