Author Topic: New member seeking advice from the veterans  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Kujo

New member seeking advice from the veterans
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
Hi everyone.  I have been scouring this website for many weeks.  Great topics and many cool cars.  I joined to ask some advice of the knowledgable members since I am looking to buy my first old school Trans Am.  My first T/A was a 2002 black NHRA Special Edition which I bought with 6k miles back in 2003, but had to sell it in 2004 due to financial issues.  I have always vowed to get another T/A, but one from 70s because those body styles were the coolest in my opinion. 

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1979 T/A with the following upgrades:
Rebuilt 400 motor
400 Turbo Trans with shift kit
3.73 Posi rear end
Brand new carpet, sound barrier, insulation
Brand new 17x9 rims with Nitto tires
Headers with 3" exhaust
Black Dupont Chroma Premier paint
New rubber seals and body mounts

The original motor in this car was the Olds 403 based off the VIN #.  This car is for sale by a dealer and the original asking price was $18k back in May 2013, but they have since dropped the price to $14k to sell the car.  To me this looks like a deal too good to pass up, but it makes me wonder why no one has scooped up this car (been $14k for a month).  My thought was that many collectors want everything original, and the motor and transmission in this car are not original.  If I do purchase this vehicle, I plan to drive it back home.  I live 300 miles away so I wasn't sure how well the car would hold up, especially with the 3.73 rear end. 

I was wondering what you thought about the price of this car based off the details I shared.  Is it a good price?  Also, why do you think no one has bought it yet?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:06:20 PM by Kujo »

Offline Gold79ta

• Adv. Member
Re: New member seeking advice from the veterans
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »
Looks good to me.
Might need to lower it a bit looks pretty high

Offline Kujo

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:52:39 AM »
Thanks Gold79ta.  I'm going to take a closer look at it on Friday.  Hope to drive it back home if there are no major issues I uncover.

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:57:23 AM »
from those 3 pics car looks decent, look it over good for hidden rust, take it for a long ride and ask a lot of questions. good luck
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
I think $14k for a car in great condition is a steal. It would probably cost almost double that to build one. If there are no signs of major BONDO repairs and it runs and drives tight, buy it. Looks nice in the pics but keep in mind pics can make any whore look good

Offline Elz

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »
Maybe it is just the angle, and it is dark, but something doesn't look right with that inner quarter panel. Shouldn't the lower trunk drop be blocking our view of the outer wheel house? Definitely look it over underneath the vehicle. It appears to be pretty clean like they covered some things up. It may just be  really clean and they freshened it up? If the car lot has a lift, It might be nice to see things with your own eyes.

Offline Elz

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
Never mind. I went through and looked at my pics and I think it is just the angle. I would still have them put it on the lift for you though....

Offline Gold79ta

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »
Well, did you get the car?
If so  pics please.