Author Topic: Window motor or regulator... or both?  (Read 2602 times)

Offline sphynx88

Window motor or regulator... or both?
« on: August 28, 2016, 04:24:07 PM »
Hey, So I'm close to admitting defeat on my power windows. My driver's side power window stops or binds half-way through it's travel which will trigger the overheat circuit on the motor. I'll need to wait 3-5 minutes for the motor to cool down and then it'll start up again.

I've read that this could be just a weak motor or it could be the regulator is FUBAR'D. I'd hate to go through the work of tearing it apart just to have to replace the other component.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

Offline Kieranforinton

Re: Window motor or regulator... or both?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:41:43 AM »
Hey there,

I'm pretty new myself so might not be able to offer too much  but how "flappy"are your windows in their runners?

I think this may be part of the problem as if they don't run true they will snag and overload the motor.

Let me know.

Kieran

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 06:10:55 AM »
Typical for 40 year old windows and a badly designed switch and power system. New motors will help, but you'll also need to lube the tracks and check the guides and rollers are good. But that will still leave you with a slow and power-sapping setup which is why many rewire with relays to get similar results to more recent cars. The other parts seem to be problems or worn out before the regulators are the issue, usually.

It doesn't sound like the problem, but when I got my car the window only went half way down, got it home the next day and pulled the door trim off to find the mirror remote cable was fed through the window mechanism. The guy said it must have just started doing it. Rubbish. It would have done it every time without fail since reassembled by some clown. Easy fix, I feared the worse before that. But then replaced the motors and rewired with relays as well and they shoot up and down faster than my 10yr old GM car.

Offline ecaautosales

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »
1979 power window issues,   i have read about rewiring the power window  does any body know how to do it ? i have read you will need 4 replays, anyone have a wiring diagram of how to do it ??

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member