Author Topic: !981 Trans am oil pressure gauge  (Read 2270 times)

Offline RB68

!981 Trans am oil pressure gauge
« on: May 17, 2015, 09:41:52 AM »
Hi all,
I am a new member but have  read a lot of posts on this forum and i like what i have read. My problem is my oil pressure gauge does not seem to be working but my temp gauge is. I have found new gauges for 78 models but not 81. will they interchange? I recently got this car from my brother and it has sat for a number of years.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: !981 Trans am oil pressure gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
Only difference off hand is the newer gauges added extra increments  and the more universal symbols, but then looked more cluttered. Also, try the oil pressure sender on the engine block. It's much cheaper to test and replace and also more likely the part that requires replacing. If searching for good used gauges you will more often find them in formulas and trans am models, lower models without rally gauges just got the idiot lights or perhaps the different combination gauge. Depends which version you have buy try the sender first.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:03:06 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline RB68

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Thanks a lot. I am going to try the sending unit today. I also tried grounding the connector and the gauge did not  move. but you are right the sender is a cheap test. If that is your car in the picture it looks great. I'm just starting this project and have a long way to go.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »
When you replace the oil pressure gauge you may also need to swap out the temp gauge. The temp gauge did change in 79 or 80, the temperature sender in 80-81 uses a different ohm range.  Wait patiently on eBay for 80/81 clusters, they are the least desired style since they changed the font (smaller) and used the symbols rather than words in only those 2 years, so you should be able to find a replacement gauge reasonably cheap. The 70-79 gauges (aside from the tach and quartz clock) pretty much interchange which makes the more desirable)
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline RB68

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 07:20:50 AM »
Thanks Angelo. That is what i will do. I will install an under dash gauge for now.  The other question i have is can i eliminate the cruise control box by just getting a longer cable for a non cruise Trans Am. I removed the 301 and installed an Olds 350 and i am going to clean up the engine compartment and that has got to go.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »
Yes, and I just did the same. I got the longer cable to replace the 2 cables, it was actualy too long. If I did it again I would get a shorter one by about a foot.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 07:36:57 AM »
Just looked it up, I got the 80 inch long one thinking that was what I needed. Now I know I would go with the 61 inch. (The cable actually travels less than if it were going to the transducer). I ruined my firewall grommet, so be careful with that. If I could do that over again, I would pull the grommet off first, then feed the new cable through it, then remount the grommet.