Author Topic: Reassembling a 6X head  (Read 9002 times)

Offline Andy78TA

Re: Reassembling a 6X head
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »
Ok pretty random question but from looking through the side randomly now that I can't work on my car something dawned on me... Is there a fuel filter that goes between the gas tank and the fuel pump? I only ask because after looking at a lot of peoples pictures I notice they have a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb and I do not. If that is the only place there is suppose to be a fuel filter I am guessing I should probably go buy one..
78 T/A pontiac 400- Custom Headers - 2.5 Pypes Violator header back system - Edlebrock Performer Intake - Edelbrock 1413 Carb - Head work - pro comp roller rocker - CVF bracket and pulley kit - Custom system - Recaro T/A interior

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
The stock location for the fuel filter is in the Quadrajet carb, where the steel fuel line from the fuel pump goes into it.  If you have a filter there you don't need anything else.  There is a "sock" filter over the fuel pickup in the tank to keep gross-sized objects out of the fuel line altogether.  The external fuel filters are aftermarket thingys and unneeded if you have a filter in the Qjet.

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
Yeah... I don't have the quadrajet anymore haha... I am running an edelbrock aftermarkey carb... I think I need to invest in a fuel filter
78 T/A pontiac 400- Custom Headers - 2.5 Pypes Violator header back system - Edlebrock Performer Intake - Edelbrock 1413 Carb - Head work - pro comp roller rocker - CVF bracket and pulley kit - Custom system - Recaro T/A interior

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »
Ok quick question that I overlooked that I have been getting conflicting information on. Since I had headwork done I need to "break in" the engine for a little while right? How long do I need to be soft on the engine and what does be soft entail? (I am guessing let it warm up before I drive it, not driving 60, or like a crazy person) Thanks!

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2010, 03:13:14 PM »
If your cam is already broken in you can drive your T/A normally, just don't race it for at least a 500-1000 miles. I'd give those new valve guides and seats a chance to wear in- add some zddp in your oil too to reduce metal-metal engine wear. After the 500-1000 miles is up, change your oil and check your compression- it should be decent (unless your rings are worn).

Geno

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2010, 06:31:41 PM »
Thanks Geno,
   I will look at autozone or some place for the zddp additive. I think I will be home next weekend as I need to work so I am hoping I will have the car back together sometime soon.

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2010, 07:37:24 PM »
Andy,
If you can't find the additive, Valvoline racing oil has zddp already added to it. CSK/ O'Reilly should carry that oil.

Geno

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2010, 02:38:33 PM »
Thank  you much, I will be looking for it in the upcoming days.

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2010, 12:17:15 AM »
Ressurecting an old thread but with a new question. I have my car back together so next week when I am home for spring break I will be changing the oil, oil filter, adding coolant and starting the car up for the first time in a couple months. My question for now is regarding the coolant. I am going to fill the radiator completely but should I put some coolant directly into the intake manifold port also? I know the coolant will go into the heads once the thermostat opens but the heads are completely dry now and to me it doesn't seem right to run the engine with nothing in there until the t-stat opens. I figured if I put it into the intake port it would fill the heads at least part way. Am I wrong?? Is there a special way to do this or are the heads okay to be run "dry" until the tstat opens?? Thanks!

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2010, 01:53:17 AM »
I just read on the information part of Brett's site that the cooling capacity fora trans am is almost 19 gallons?!? Im going to need to buy 10 gallons (assuming I make a 50/50 mix) of antifreeze to fill this thing? I didn't think I pulled that much out of it?? :(

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »
A lot of people drill some some small holes in the thermostat so that there is always *some* coolant circulation, and if you do that you can fill the engine much better before startup.  I've always filled mine through the radiator only.  I wouldn't try anything fancy to put coolant into the intake crossover.  Yes, it's a VAST amount of coolant in there -- when you drain it out, you never get it all and so there's a lot that slops out.

BTW -- it's not a bad idea to actually test your thermostat in a pot of water BEFORE you install it in the car -- it seems those things fail quite often these days new right out of the box.  If you bring the water up to boiling, you can see that it actually works before you go to the trouble of installing it in the engine.

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips rick. Since I took the heads off I know I got all the coolant out of it and it still didn't seem like 18.4 gallons? It definaltey is that much though? I was thinking maybe it is suppose to be 18.4 quarts or something. I just don't know how the engine holds that much coolant. I just wantto make sure I have enough coolant when I start the engine but I just don't get it. Somebody else also mentioned the drilling holes. I will probably try that. I will definately test the tstat too. Thats simple insurance. Thanks

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2010, 09:46:26 AM »
Oops -- missed the "gallons" part.  :-[  The capacity of the V8 400 CID cooling system for the 1975 F-body is 23.5 US QUARTS.  4 quarts = 1 gallon, so yes not quite that much.

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »
Worst possible case just happened. I fixed one leak but found a new on in the car. Using a pressure tester I found that my passenger head gasket is leaking right by the oil filter. No matter what I do I cannot get it to stop leaking. I will have to take the car into a shop tomorrow after all the work I did. :(

Offline indymanjoe

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »
after all youve done i really think you can fix it! rethink what ya did thats diff on that side,was it torqued properly?dodnt give up now,been interesting reading this thread,what a great bunch of guys here!