Author Topic: Thoughts about this car?  (Read 6322 times)

Offline skisix38off

Thoughts about this car?
« on: January 29, 2009, 01:13:38 PM »
Sorry if this isn't the right place to put this thread...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1978-Gold-edition-t-top-trans-am-orig-70-000-mi-car_W0QQitemZ130284482752QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item130284482752&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

Ebay car that's close by me so I can go take a look.  Everytime I think I know a little bit about looking at these cars from pictures, you guys seem to have a lot of questions so I would love for you guys to help me out by checking out the auction and giving me some things to go specifically look at this weekend. 

I asked about the 400 Trans- he said he didn't really know if it was a 400 or a 350.

The exhaust leak he says is from a broken manifold bolt, back, driver side..  If this is true, how hard is that to get fixed?  regular scoket set and a Saturday or take it in and it's going to be a $450 bill?

Says he's had it for 3 years and never titled it- what do you guys think about that?????

What about the story on the discrepent title and odo mileage?

I would like to walk away Sat. and feel like I can offer this guy some $$$ and feel confident that the $$ I offer is fair to me.
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline HotBird

Re: Thoughts about this car?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
If you ask me...I would look at the title issue as a red flag.  What he says could be legit, but you're taking a chance...especially if you ever have to sell the car and you have to convey the story to the next owner.  The title thing just sounds odd.

Also, did he say if the numbers match? 

And the interior might look good, but some of that engine bay shows an awful lot of rust to me for only 70,000 miles and a TX car.
Paul Kuras
1978 Trans Am

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:26:03 PM »
i have a car i havent titled in over 6 years, is there something wrong with that? no because its a project, some people just dont have the want to get things done like drive a car, and the car may not be road worthy......i had another car that was given to me that i didnt have a title for so i obtained a new clean title through the court system...took some time yes, but in the end it was worth it...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
the title issue varies state by state.... Contact yyour local DMV  before doing anything... may be in for a long hard battle on getting the car legal since he was slack on getting a title.. even though you had posession of the car for 3 to 5 years and never had it titled and you cant get the person whos name is on the title to release it might cause complications.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »
as long as you dont have someone thats going to have it titled in their name, or if it rasies a flag, that someone doesnt claim the car to be stolen, thats why you would want a bill of sale, and if he has the previous title to the car, just never went to the dmv to take care of the buisness then you are basically golden
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »
(looks like some tried to repair with black hardner or something dash cap time easy fix

If these are such easy fixes all the time ,why the ****  don't they do them ? LMAO

I think this is like the first Guy I dealt with ,a Title jumper. It's a good way to not pay any tax when you buy a car ,and a great way to screw up the next owner .
I'd pass

Offline rad400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:07:39 PM »
looks like a good deal to me. If the title is good and there is one go for it. From the pics the car looks good.
Conrad
79 Trans am 400 t400 3500 stall #12 heads holley 750 vac carb. Torker II intake 3:73:1 gears 12 bolt rear.

Offline Brawler

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:08:23 PM »
i would go look at it in person.  Pictures almost never tell the complete story especially on ebay, guy kinda sounds like one of those morons who thinks a full qtr panel is a 30minute fix with a gallon of bondo.  I wonder to what he feels its worth for his reserve, especially when they all think their car is a rare car. 

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »
Dang, I was just in Waxahachie today and could have possibly went by and looked the car over for you.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:24:16 PM »
When I bought mine, the guy hadn't changed the title over.  I thought I'd have problems, but I didn't. 

Looks like a decent car.  The miles look right per the interior.  That's about how they look with 70K miles.  I'm not sure I believe the 3:42 rear end though.  I thought only the four speed cars had those.

Whether it's a good car for the money is another question.  We don't know what the reserve is.  After all, this is a rare car. ;D

shakerz

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 12:24:21 AM »
i know this auction ended but quick note on 'open' title. not a thing wrong w them (in Texas, anyway) lots of people sell cars this way. that just means the previous owner has signed on seller line and this guy has not signed on buyer line. its just waitin for the new owner to sign as buyer and this guy will be bypassed in title history.  :)

steve

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 07:06:02 AM »
one thing i noticed is he's calling it a gold edition......does he just mean a gold trans am? its not a y88 by anymeans.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline skisix38off

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 08:11:36 AM »
I never got to look Y88...  he sold it before I had a chance to look.  I'll be interested to see if the car pops up here to see what the new owners thoughts about that are...
1978 Y88 L78 auto, PW
Greg

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »
i noticed no se striping, a black steering column no gold t-tops just to name a few things i spotted instantly. im sure the new owner will be greatly upset if they didnt already know this car was infact a fautly y88 and just a regular gold t/a with t-tops
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »
It's not an SE....but it looks like a solid car.  Somebody might be able to get it fairly cheap since no one bid on it.  The A/C doesn't work and I'm sure there are other things wrong...like his exhaust leak...but if he doesn't want too much, that would be a nice start.