Author Topic: Needing help classifying my car  (Read 9711 times)

Offline OkieTransAm

Re: Needing help classifying my car
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »
According to the partial vin you found behind the a/c case, you have an 81' T/A. Those digits match the digits that I can make out on the driver door vin which is 1G2AW87W1BL114008. The build sheet does not go with that car, again it is for an 80' Formula. Looks more like someone put a 79' VIN in place of the 81' VIN and filled in around it to cover where the rivets were on the dash. If you will look closely at the driver door sticker pics you took you can make out what I did and see that it does match. Car would have been manufactured in DEC. 1980 and that could be correct for the radiator support stampings that show a date of Sept. of 1980. I'm voting that it is mostly an 81' T/A, and according to that vin, came with the 301, built in Van Nuys.

Well all the numbers came up clean. The owner of the car with the vin that's on the build sheet I found has passed away so couldn't really do much. Just really concerns me how everything isn't right. Date codes and stampings in parts are 1980 which would make sense if the car is a 81. Should i just grab a piece of sand paper and see if i can lightly sand around the dash vin plate?

wait a sec, the ac box stamping is 2BL114008 How is that 7 digits the same as the 1G2AW87W1BL114008 ?

because the partial vin was split somewhat like this xx2xxxxxxBL114008? (x's being the numbers not listed on the partial vin under ac box.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:12:25 PM by OkieTransAm »

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 05:14:56 PM »
The reason it is only partial is because they do not put the whole vin in those areas. 2(Pontiac), B(81),L(VanNuys), and the last numbers are the production numbers for that car.

Offline OkieTransAm

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 06:36:53 PM »
The reason it is only partial is because they do not put the whole vin in those areas. 2(Pontiac), B(81),L(VanNuys), and the last numbers are the production numbers for that car.

okay so the only way to tell if the vin has been filled over would be to pull the dash right? im not in depth familiar with these cars so is there a dash cage underneath the dash itself or is the vin attached to the actual plastic replacement? how hard would it be to remove.

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 07:35:03 PM »
It looks to me like the 79' VIN that is on the dash was added there and filled in around. Does not look factory to me. If it indeed is an 81' T/A that VIN would be the long VIN that I posted earlier that is on the door and would have been riveted in with 2 rivets. Looks like someone may have cut out the original VIN and filled it to me. There is not one thing on that car that makes me believe it is a 79' other than that questionable VIN on the dash. Everything else points to an 81' model. JMO. The VIN is not part of the actually dash pad, it is on the actual cowl/body of the car in that area. The part where the VIN is located is metal not plastic.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:38:05 PM by winks79 »

Offline OkieTransAm

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »
It looks to me like the 79' VIN that is on the dash was added there and filled in around. Does not look factory to me. If it indeed is an 81' T/A that VIN would be the long VIN that I posted earlier that is on the door and would have been riveted in with 2 rivets. Looks like someone may have cut out the original VIN and filled it to me. There is not one thing on that car that makes me believe it is a 79' other than that questionable VIN on the dash. Everything else points to an 81' model. JMO. The VIN is not part of the actually dash pad, it is on the actual cowl/body of the car in that area. The part where the VIN is located is metal not plastic.

that was my concern, i wasnt sure whether or not the vin tag was on the plastic cover or if it was in fact on the metal underneath, guess ill have to pull the dash to see if the vin plate is even more shitty looking under

Offline tata

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 05:08:44 AM »
I had an 81 I bought with no title, vin on dash looked alittle messed up but hey, i didn't care. But I was curious.  Everything  matched  nothing looked fixed up under the heater box inside or outside the firewall and even found the  broadcast sheet, but the dash vin looked a little off and one rivet was painted and the other wasn't , that's why I was curious plus I got the car so cheap I gave him more then he told me he wanted.