Author Topic: It's time! My 1979 SE Trans Am Project  (Read 2743 times)

Offline 79BanditTA

• "Trans Am, What's Your Pleasure"
It's time! My 1979 SE Trans Am Project
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »
Okay folks, I believe it is time. I have some extra time and money to work on my '79 Trans Am that I bought in 2010. We got it as a father-son project from a guy that didn't quite know what he had. He said he got it from his brother as a project but never got around to fixing it. When his brother had it, he had gotten into a little wreck and had to replace the front clip. At the time there was apparently no Trans Am parts available at all, so he put a '78 Esprit front end on it.  ::) The car has the original 403 that was rebuilt about 14 years ago, and the transmission was rebuilt as well. Both have less than 10,000 miles since the rebuild. The car was on craigslist for $1100, but the guy selling it said "$900 today takes the car. I want to see Pearl Jam this weekend." My father went to look at it with his buddy. His friend has had many T/A's and so has my dad, so when they got there they knew where to check for rust, etc. When they opened the door, my uncle saw that the steering wheel was gold. While my dad was talking with the seller, my uncle pulled off a ring around the gauges and it was gold underneath. They started the car up and drove it around a the storage place a bit. The car ran and drove fine. My dad handed the guy $900 cash and we were the proud owner of a documented Y84 Trans Am!  ;D The car was put on the back burner for a bit while we got parts and stuff. My dad is an Oldsmobile guy, and I am too for that matter... but the T/A kept getting pushed further and further down the road. I wound up buying my dad out of the Bandit car and tinkering with it. I bought parts here and there for the car, put T/A fenders and hood on the car, a rust free trunk lid, acquired a brand new nose, bought some tan seat covers, and foam from a low mileage Y88 because that owner was going another route. New carpet kit, I bought gold 8 inch snowflakes and other misc. parts. I started pulling the seats out to assess the floor, and that's about where I stopped. The car got put on the back burner once again and things got piled on top of it in my garage. (don't judge!) Well, yesterday we pulled the cars out of the garage and did some cleaning. I have decided that after it sitting for so long, I am taking a few days off and I am going to fix the floors, install the new interior pieces, put the nose on, and do what I can! Here are a few pic of when I first got the car, and what it is currently.

Offline onebluess

• Laissez les bons temps rouler !
Re: It's time! My 1979 SE Trans Am Project
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »
Are you going to keep it a 79 Y84? I see the 77-78 nose...Did you ever find any build sheets?

Offline 79BanditTA

• "Trans Am, What's Your Pleasure"
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:44:58 PM »
Are you going to keep it a 79 Y84? I see the 77-78 nose...Did you ever find any build sheets?

I am definitely going to keep it a '79 Y84. The 77-78 nose that is on in the first picture was when I first got the car. The previous owner put an Esprit front end on the car. I have a brand new, never used '79 nose to go on the Y84. I have not found the build sheet yet, but I also have not pulled the back seat yet.

Offline onebluess

• Laissez les bons temps rouler !
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 02:40:55 PM »
Usually the first thing I do is look for the build sheets to see if my SE hunch is correct. I've been known to remove seats even before a car is purchased. Like trying to find a treasure map. I bought a 78 a long time ago that had all the signs except the black trim T-tops and turned out to be just a black TA.  Someone put the decal and interior accents on it.
I was assuming since you called it a SE you definitely had the sheets or had ordered PHS.