Author Topic: DOOR SPEAKERS  (Read 15721 times)

Offline deadfish

Re: DOOR SPEAKERS
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »

My solution. A lot of work but I like the end result...and the lowers came off a donor car that was hacked already in that area. they sound awesome...
Of course a T/A guy will know that this is a 79 standard panel with a 74 lower deluxe mated to it, but the guys at work just think it's a nice touch ;P.
Someday a may switch to the aftermarket panels I saw in the year one cat (i think it's them) but for now these fit my budget.

Rick c.

Offline jmurray878

Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
Thats the way to go, pull the orig, and throw those in.
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline JoshRiess

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »
Putting the tweeters in the A pillars away from the mid-drivers is a bad idea.
It messes up the sound placement.
The tweeters should be no farther away than 5-8 inches from the mid as you start to get 2 different areas from the sound .
To most people they would not notice but it does start to sound a little off.
                    JOSH

Offline 78Formula

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
I was considering hacking the door panels and putting some door speakers there, but instead I installed a good set of 6 X 9's in the package tray with a good head unit and that was enough for me. With the bass it puts out, I don't really need a sub and the sound quality is great. So rather than going with door speakers you could just do that? Only a suggestion though because it is your car.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:59:34 PM by 78Formula »

Chase Kelly
1978 W50 Pontiac Firebird Formula with original 305
Gallery: http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/Formula78/
http://www.motortopia.com//78Formula

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »
I still would like to anyone's speaker install in the door with basic door panels. I took my door panel off today and there does not seem to be much room for big magnet speakers.... I really don't want to cut into the door itself... I am not sold on the kick panel thing because there is not much room by the ebrake and i would have to mess with the air vents.

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »
I think you have been told numerous times that you would have to cut into the door so I am not sure what you are looking for??? 
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »
i think if you saw the kick panel idea in a 70ish 80ish you would understand, the photo i saw was a late model either way to install any decent speaker you will be cutting door and if you do not want to then do as many seasoned guys/gals on this forum have suggested
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »

My solution. A lot of work but I like the end result...and the lowers came off a donor car that was hacked already in that area. they sound awesome...
Of course a T/A guy will know that this is a 79 standard panel with a 74 lower deluxe mated to it, but the guys at work just think it's a nice touch ;P.
Someday a may switch to the aftermarket panels I saw in the year one cat (i think it's them) but for now these fit my budget.

Rick c.
sorry this looks like a hippy mobile from the 60's
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline LilSki

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02:10 PM »
My doors were already hacked up pretty bad by the previous owner so I reinforced the door and cleaned up the hack job and installed door speakers. My door panels are not in the greatest condition so I had no problems cutting them up. If they were mint I probably would have done otherwise. But here is what mine looks like.

Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:17 PM »
Is that the thicker steering wheel from PY?
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline deadfish

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »

Rick c.
sorry this looks like a hippy mobile from the 60's

Well then now you know how old I am...

Rick

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
My doors were already hacked up pretty bad by the previous owner so I reinforced the door and cleaned up the hack job and installed door speakers. My door panels are not in the greatest condition so I had no problems cutting them up. If they were mint I probably would have done otherwise. But here is what mine looks like.

This looks great! the speakers seem a little higher  than where I am thinking of putting them, but I like it!   I would be interested to see how it looks behind the door panel..... I have decided to put the speakers in the door so If anyone else has pics I would like to see them! Thanks for sharing

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
Found my solution! No need to cut into the door itself! These will only be attached to door panel.   Before I re- install I will paint the enclosures with camel vinyl spray

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:00:51 PM by gilbertsta »

Offline stealthninja

• just need to finish one more thing
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
Furkin Sweet, and even sweeter speakers man. did you make that enclosure they are sitting in or what? I will post some custom kick speaker pods that my car came with from the previous owner. I love them but I do accidentally kick them from time to time. I would prefer your style setup but that will have to wait for a later date. I am young and dont prefer living "original" or in the past. Front door speakers are great and in my mind a MUST. Respect for looking and finding what you wanted. Also what speaker models specifically? I can tell they are Sound Stream, (secretly plotting to get some soon) wife will kill me once see notices though.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:43:31 PM by stealthninja »