Author Topic: Advice for debugging bumpers anyone????  (Read 5580 times)

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
Re: Advice for debugging bumpers anyone????
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »
This is a tough one. My every day driver is only 3 years old and I cuss every time I have to clean the front bumper. Not sure how much time you're spending on it, but you're doing all the right stuff. I use GUNK Tar and Bug Remover but you have to soak the bugs and let it set up to soften them before rubbing them off. It's always been safe for my paint. The hot water is good to soften them as well. I drove my car about 45 miles home after a fresh repaint and I knew I was going to get bug debris on the way back....sure enough, the front spoiler was covered. If I had driven at night, it would have been a lot worse. These were fresh so they came right off though. Good luck!
As for the time I'm spending on it....entirely too much imho!!   ;)  I think I may be too overly cautious with the GUNK though...was afraid I'd "melt" the "plastic".  Maybe I'll try some spots that are underneath and not so visible and see if I have better success if I let it "set" a while.   Got to find a cure...this IS S.Central Texas and there are bugs o'plenty year round.  bleh.  Thanks for your kind reply.   :)
"All good things are wild and free." - THOREAU

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 02:06:07 AM »
well, Huntress, at least you got some responses on this now. Sounds like the baking soda and water might do the trick.
Yep...much appreciated too.  I'll try em all!  The only cleaning I do with a smile...the TA.   :)

Offline Driver79

• 1985 Trans Am 5.0L
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 08:13:22 AM »
WD-40.

I saw this on a facebook yesterday.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 05:04:10 AM »
Don't use a scouring pad often advertised for this use. All they do is scratch them off and the paint with it. My parents had to respray a hood after they got excited cleaning bugs off it only to find that when dry it looked like it had been vandalised with sandpaper in stripes.

Offline TAhuntress

• ♥ 1977 W72 BrownBird ♥
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
Revisiting this one as I am bringing the freshly painted TA home next week with zero bugs on the front.... until I get 10 feet down the humid buggy Texas highway.  Refreshing my memory as to all these great suggestions.  Again, thanks to everyone who helped me out here.  I may have forgotten to thank each one of y'all one on one.  THANKS!!

Offline Johnny ace

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
I have used a sponge inside nylon netting ( don't know if it has a name)use with water,works great,no scratches ever.Have the car well waxed,and get them off as soon as possible.Good luck.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 09:48:08 PM »
You can't stop them, only make it easier to wash off. I'd imagine a highly buffed and waxed finish will repel much better then an older surface.

Offline outlaw78

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »
Dryer sheets. It works awesome. Put a couple sheets into a hand spray bottle of water. Let it soak for a while to get the chemicals into the water. Spray it on and let it sit a minute. Then use another sheet as your bug sponge.