Author Topic: 1978 Formula questions  (Read 3559 times)

Offline pontiacting

1978 Formula questions
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to the site and recently acquired a 1978 Formula, original black paint and black interior. Appears to have the "Hurst Package"??? HAs T-tops, factory ac, power windows, and a dual gate shifter. What other options came with the Hurst option? The original wheels are gone, now sitting on a set of chevy Blazer steel rims which is temporary. It is need of a restoration but I was able to fire it up but a long way from running and stopping. An

I am new to the Firebird but have restored a few classic trucks, VW's and Jeeps. All the newbie questions apply to me. How to ID engine? Build sheet treasure hunt locations? Keep as a Formula or do the SE clone thang?

Here is the vin: 2U87Z8L156819

Whats is it worth as a fairly complete original car and what as a restored Forumula vs a SE clone?

Thanks and i look forward to a few binge sessions of old posts and threads to get more acquainted with the group. Thanks for any advice and help. Jb

Offline NWTransAms

Re: 1978 Formula questions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
A showroom condition, very, very low mileage all OEM yellow survivor Formula, it was either a 77 or 78 - I cannot remember -, sold for around $17K on eBay recently.  You would have to compare the condition of your Formula against this benchmark to help gauge its market value.  Please bear in mind that the Formula I mentioned was in showroom condition, had lived indoors forever, and looked to be perfect.  It was not something that had a lot of miles and use. A showroom Formula with OEM paint and OEM graphics has a more demand than just a nice looking driver quality Formula that has been well used and that sports a ratty interior.

Even though there were only 24K Formulas compared to 93K T/A's produced in 1978,  Formulas still do not have the market demand that a T/A has.  Maybe that will change someday. I would much rather restore a numbers matching T/A than a Formula for that reason even though I really like Formulas.

If the build sheet has not been removed you will likely find it tucked into the backside of the rear seat, tucked into the bottom of a front seat, behind the plastic over the rear wheel wells, or on top of the gas tank.  The locations I have found most common are behind the rear seat and top of the gas tank.

SE clones are popular. A clone from a Formula versus a standard Trans Am will likely not sell for as much since underneath the cosmetic change is a Formula, not a T/A. But if you are cloning for yourself and plan to keep and enjoy for a long time who cares.

These are my opinions only.  My best to you.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 1978 Formula questions
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:45:46 AM »
The Hurst option does not exist. But with the car being black with gold it was often referred to as such. I can't tell from that angle if those are even Hurst t-tops or Fishers, not my area. The Hurst dual-gate is aftermarket but still cool years later and hard to find in good condition. The Z in the VIN translates to a 400 Pontiac engine. The car is basically identical colour-wise to my Formula, or will be when completed again, which I picked simply to get away from the TA clone crowd. It obviously needs a bit of work, do what you like with it.